SASS Wire Forum

45-75 Brass?

Badlands Beady

I just did some browsing for 45-75 brass for the first time in 2 or 3 years. Couldn't find any listed under either Starline or Winchester. When did they stop making it? Am I going to be stuck paying $75(?) for 20 from that Aussies outfit?

Thanks! It's been a long time since I did any brass shopping, forgot all about BA. But what happened to Winchester and Starline?

I didn't think Winchester made any in the modern day. I know Starline was going to, but I don't know if they ever did. Jamison is the only one I know for sure did. I formed all of mine from .348 brass - not difficult, but a bit time consuming.

Both Winchester and Starline did; I've currently got ~100 pieces I bought from the latter, made from their 50-90 cartridge. Winchester made actual 45-75. I just ordered 50from BA,thanks.

BTW, what did you do about dies? I got the 4D Uberti set, then ordered their Winchester sizing dye, by itself. Found out I've got one of the early models with the incorrect Uberti chamber. Winchester-sized brass can be made to chamber, but I'm not sure I want to trust it.

I bought a Chaparral - long story, but after 2 trips back to the factory and a replacement rifle (still with problems), I finally got it functioning well enough to work reliably. I use a Lyman die set.

Ouch! I've just been reviewing the 1876 forum over at CAS City, and I'm glad I went with Uberti. It's always worked fine, right out of the box. It may be my imagination, but it seems to have an almost flat trajectory at 150 yards.

Archived