SASS Wire Forum

Love my new rotary tumbler

I'm putting this post here in the hopes that it might help someone who is looking for a better way to clean their sooty blackpowder brass . . .

I know I was probably doing it all wrong to start with, but I've found a good way now.

Yes, I know stained but clean brass shoots just as well as shiny brass, but that's just not my style. I've been using a Thumbler Model B tumbler for years, but it certainly had its drawbacks. I started with ceramic media, but it tended to get caught in the .44-40's, so I switched to stainless steel pins. I had to limit the brass amount of brass I put in it to only one day's worth (120 cases) or the belt would slip. If I shot a two-day match, I had to split it up into two batches. Brass was frequently dull, even when clean. And I had to run the tumbler for a very long time (12-24 hrs.) to get it clean, sometimes even changing the water halfway through. Just didn't seem right. And it sometimes leaked. I wore out a couple of drive belts and had to replace the lid liner. Lots of difficulties.

No more!

While at Cabela's last month, I purchased a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler. It was on sale, and included the stainless steel media. The first thing I noticed was that it rotated a LOT faster than the Thumbler. Probably 2 or 3 times as fast. I've found I can put at least 150 rounds of .44-40 and a couple dozen .45-70's in there, as well as a larger amount of stainless steel pins. It has a built-in timer so it shuts itself off. So far, I've always run it for 3 hours. I will start experimenting with how much or how little time is actually required for clean brass.

The solution I'm using is very similar to John Boy's. In a gallon jug, I mix 2 oz. (1/4 cup) of Shinebrite Burnishing Compound (purchased from Amazon.com), 2 oz. Scrubbing Bubbles (from the local grocery store) and a squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent (the wife keeps it under the sink). Fill the jug the rest of the way with water. Put brass and media in the tumber, dump in the contents of the gallon jug, and if needed, fill the tumbler to the fill line with water. Put the cap on it and set the timer for 3 hours.

My brass comes out cleaner than ever before. It looks better than new.

I recently got a Harbor Freight Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler and have been using that to tumble brass with the stainless pins. It sure does work a lot better than my old vibrating dry tumbler. It doesn't have the capqacity or quality of the Frankford Arsenal ones, but it works great and costs $50-60 (without stainless pins). My brother in law told me about it and I went and bought one the same day.

Thanks for the tip Woody.

When my Thumbler's Tumbler dies, I'll give it a look-see.

--Dawg

Archived