SASS Wire Forum

45 70 brass bulge when shooting APP

Double Tap Taylor

Yes, was just wondering if he somehow ran a 40-65 piece of brass formed from 4570, in a 4570 expander die, and seated a 446 slug? If the expander die wasn't adjusted too deep, it would do it. The first batch of brass I was able to get for my wife's 4065 was Remington 4570 formed down to 4065. She's running starline now. Just an idea of how a guy could grip a 446 slug.....hope he writes back on what he found. I'd like to know what that slug was intended for. Paper patch, maybe?

Yes, was just wondering if he somehow ran a 40-65 piece of brass formed from 4570, in a 4570 expander die, and seated a 446 slug? If the expander die wasn't adjusted too deep, it would do it. ........

Only problem then is the 45-70 expander die would take that 40-65 size brass from .432" back up to .480" or so. Since he said the bulge was only .449" then firing the cartridge somehow got it to shrink.

The expander plugs for my dies both are basically straight up to where they do the mouth flaring.

SAAMI specs for 40-65 brass show a neck that is .432" from the mouth back. He said the neck area of his bulged case was about .448 except for that .449 bulge. There is a huge problem with the size of the bullet and the size of the case after firing that bullet. The case had to actually shrink when fired as it's ID after firing a .446 bullet is about .426 It is a puzzle from the info given.

Archived