SASS Wire Forum

Washington Navy Yard: "The Naval Gun Factory" 1952

Subdeacon Joe

When I was still living in Minnesota I worked for the phone company. I was sent to FMC in the northern part of the Minneapolis area several times to move or repair phone lines for remodeling work going on. When I was there they were making deck guns for the Italian Navy and also welding the missile silo's for our Navy Subs. It took 3-4 days to weld the silo. The steel was about 6 inches thick. The welding shop got the silo's in 2 lengthwise halves about 25 feet long (guessing the length, I never asked) and were >< shaped where the halves met. They used a robotic welder that ran the full length of the inside then it would be transferred to the outside and so on until it was fully welded and inspected by a Navy inspector. That place was big enough that they used bicycles or 3 wheeled bicycles with a big basket mounted on the back if they needed to carry something to get around.

Considering the year, some of the technology being used was pretty amazing. When watching this type of film, I can’t help but think of the pride we had as Americans back then. What ever happened to our great country? I also always wonder who designed and made the machines that make the machines. There are a number of other similar films at the same site.

Archived