SASS Wire Forum

1873 Wood Question

Huck Mucus

If all goes well, I will soon own an 1873 Uberti with a 30" bll in .45 Colt. If I bought new *unfinished* wood for the regular sporting rifle from VTI Gunparts I assume it would fit the long range version. Is that correct?

Does anyone have any experience with VTI wood? Any comments?

When buying "unfinished" wood is there a lot of fitting to be done (is the wood real proud)? Or does the term "unfinished" relate strictly to the stain/oil/sealer finish?

Can you recommend anyone other than VTI?

Thanks in advance.

The wood would need to be for the same style lower tang, pistol grip or straight grip. As for the unfinished, I suggest you call VTI. They are extremely helpful and knowledgable about the products they sell. One question, why do you feel like you need to replace the wood straight away?

One question, why do you feel like you need to replace the wood straight away?

I don't like the red and I don't like the glossy. I intend to keep the factory wood for resale (if I ever resell it, which I doubt) but I want my finish on it.

I have a 66 short rifle that I tried stripping but I've found from experience and from experts that once the cells in wood have been treated with anything it is impossible to reopen them again, by stripping or sanding, to the soft point where they will take a different finish again as well as virgin wood. Thus, I'm going to get new wood and oil it myself. I'd just don't want to spend a ton of time sanding it down to a good wood-metal fit. I'll do some work, but if it's too much I'll hire it out to a pro and then oil it when he's done.

I'm thinking about a tarnished sterling silver dip for the receiver too. We'll see.

Archived