SASS Wire Forum

Ahead of the Game Ammo Shortage

Texas Man

I started

to reload in 1956 after buying My first Colt single action 45. I was 15 at the time. Back then I was so poor I used a filed down nail to push out the fired primers and wood between the jaws of a vise to seat new primers and a 38 special case to load load full of black powder and then my own hand cast lyman mould with a 260 grain semiwadcutter Keith bullet cast from weelweights and again wood between the jaws of a vise to press the bullet home. No resizing was needed and the loads shoot just fine. Then the day come when I saved $12 dolloars to bug a Pacific C press and lyman dies and a Redding powder scale. Now I was in the big time shooting business hunting ever weekend.

How much did I shoot up, Well one new years night as My best and fellow gun nut were loading We decided to plave the empty primer boxes in a box and count them the following new years. We each had about the same number of primer boxies and were at each with well over 100,000 rounds loaded during the last 12 months.

The choice at the time was CCI primers and 10.3 grains of Unique powder. Today that is to some an over load for the old Colts. Then as now I prefew to shoot full power loads on just about all My handguns. Ever can around My Grandas house had bullet holes in them and target or beast where nevere safe.

Then came the fast draw thing and no Texas Man is about to use wax bullets or blanks, Oh Hell no. I was out back of Granddads house doing the fast draw thing when it happen,,,,halfway out of the hoster the big 45 went off blowing the side of my boot away and the impact on the grond of the big 45 stung my foot so bad for a while i dint know if I still had a foot. To hell with that stuft, On to the next interest.

During the next 50 plus years not much has changed on basic reloading. I use a RCBS Big Max as a single stage and a 650 Dillon for progessive. Some years ago we also had a primer and powder scare for a while and I decided to be ready the next time should it come around again. I slowly bought up and supply of about 100,000 primers of each size and a stock of powder just in case.

As for bullets, I have to say that for a handgun to Me a good lead bullet is almost as good as a premium jacked bullet and for the larger caliber rifles I still feel that as well.

When the cartridge guns were becoming in wide use, Many of the Old Timers sitt prefered a cap and ball gun because it was cheaper to shoot and ammo was never a problem with a mould to cast bullets. One powder was all they needed and that was black powder. Should You feel casting Your own bullets is some that interest ou I would encourge You to do so, I in fact still have cast bullets that I cast over fifty years ago and they are as good today as the day I cast them.

At the current time, The main problem we face is the stortage of primers and impots are now starting to come in and in time the US companys will catch up. Oh of interest, Back then 1956 a can of powder was the grand sum of $3.20 and primers were 60 cents a 100. Dies were arond 6.00 and a good press $12 for a C type. Herters was big in the day but I never liked them as they were too cheap.

Your Fellow Pard, Texas Man

Your stories always welcome and your experience mirrors mine except my first reloading experience was with a 22 hornet. Lots of West Texas jackrabbits and other vermin fell to it. The only thing from Herters that survived that period is an old powder scale that I paid a couple bucks for. It was fun to look through their "Worlds Best" catalog though.

TM, just wondering if you ever knew this guy. Shod with Iron

Archived