SASS Wire Forum

Colt 1st Model Dragoon

Cat Brules

About two months ago, I was in Austin, Texas and ran across this Colt's pistol.

It was represented to be a Colt's 1st Model Dragoon. I don't know enough about these to be able to say that's correct or not, but it was fun to handle. The sight is either worn down from constant holster wear or was filed down to be more dead-on at close range. The wood grips looked original to me and the cylinder appears to be right for a 1st model, but I don't know.

According to the representative, the gun is in 20% condition. However, it is fully functional and about the only unoriginal item on it is the wedge screw, which was replaced in the very distant past. The trigger guard looked to be in good shape, the gun was not overly sloppy in its fit, timing was good and lockup was crisp.

I was fairly excited with the pistol and if it were mine, I'd probably look up that highly respected antique gun expert, Rick, from Pawn Stars and "take it out to the range" and shoot it. :o:rolleyes::lol:

The pistol is marked:

COLT'S

PATENT

U.S.

I thought you might like to see these three quick photos I took.

Colt 1st Model Dragoon

I collect 1st model Dragoons. What is the serial number and what is the seller asking for it.

Looks correct but 20% is a bit generous. Couldn't tell if the cylinder scene was visible. Any Cartouche on the grips?

About two months ago, I was in Austin, Texas and ran across this Colt's pistol.

It was represented to be a Colt's 1st Model Dragoon. I don't know enough about these to be able to say that's correct or not, but it was fun to handle. The sight is either worn down from constant holster wear or was filed down to be more dead-on at close range. The wood grips looked original to me and the cylinder appears to be right for a 1st model, but I don't know.

According to the representative, the gun is in 20% condition. However, it is fully functional and about the only unoriginal item on it is the wedge screw, which was replaced in the very distant past. The trigger guard looked to be in good shape, the gun was not overly sloppy in its fit, timing was good and lockup was crisp.

I was fairly excited with the pistol and if it were mine, I'd probably look up that highly respected antique gun expert, Rick, from Pawn Stars and "take it out to the range" and shoot it. ohmy.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.gif

The pistol is marked:

COLT'S

PATENT

U.S.

I thought you might like to see these three quick photos I took.

Colt 1st Model Dragoon

I collect 1st model Dragoons. What is the serial number and what is the seller asking for it.

I didn't get a photo of the s/n. I also did not get a good look at the bore.

Apparently, the gun was sold at auction and was represented at the auction as a 2nd model (according to Cabella's rep). However, the buyer, who then sold it or consigned it to Cabella's in Austin,(actually, Buda) Texas, supposedly recognized it as a 1st model by the oval cylinder detents.

Any cylinder scene roll engraving was pretty much worn off with only a few unrecognizable lines faintly visible.

I saw this Colt at the Cabella's Buda, Texas store, in their "used gun room" :) a couple months ago, on Saturday, October 20, this year.

The asking price was $14,000.00. Seemed a bit steep to me, but then, I am not familiar with the collector values of these old Colts.

EDIT:

.... No cartouche was visible on the wood grip, HOWEVER, I did not look that closely. I would expect the cartouche to be on the left side of the grip and I think the photos I took would show it, if there was a cartouche.

Archived