SASS Wire Forum

Need a good Gunsmith in South Central PA

Brooklyn Slim

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in South Central PA that can make lever actions work right? Got 4 of 'em and none work right.

Being new to the sport, I bought a new Marlin 1894C. It's been to Marlin (or whoever Marlin is nowadays) and three other gunsmiths. In 10 rounds, it need 2-3 double clutches to feed a round. Am using a cartridge with an OAL of 1.5 inches.

Bought new a Rossi 92 in 45lc, and another in 44-40. Had them both slicked up by a local smith, including spring sets, and they also need to be double clutched 2-3 times in a 10 round load.

So I bought a new 1873 Uberti in 357/38 special that was slicked up and short stroked. Worked for a hundred rounds, then had loading problems. First 8 cartridges would load fine, then on the 9th and 10th rounds the loading gate would not close fully, Had to fiddle and really shove the last round, and force the elevator from underneath before it would work. Got it home and loaded it with dummy rounds to see if the problem was repeatable, or bullet type depentent. Now the whole gun is locked up. Can't open the loading gate, or work the action. Luckily, it is full of dummy rounds.

So I need to find somebody local, as I am getting tired of mailing guns all over, or driving a 150 miles.

Archived