SASS Wire Forum

Hey Y'all be careful out there.

Dorado

Ok, so I'm in the process of rebuilding the entire front of a house after a drunk driver tried to use it as drive thru. The house is at the end of a T intersection and the drunkard behind the wheel didn't stop and drove right into the living room of this house. Almost two weeks later and I'm about to start on the siding. I had to completely rebuild the living room wall and a bedroom wall. It is now reframed, insulated, sheathed, and I just finished taping and bedding the drywall. Tomorrow I'll be getting the siding and installing it, followed by texturing the interior walls, and I still have the floor to worry about. The home owner only got $4000 from insurance, and I'm $3000 into it with a week's work left. I don't think the homeowner has the money to finish everything even with me working at half price.

Please remember that drinking and driving is dangerous, expensive, and stupid. A cab ride would have been multitudes cheaper. I'm just glad that no one got hurt. If the driver had hit the bedroom, the car would have killed a 20 year old girl.

Hi Dorado,

I know this is no help to you or your customer. However, I'd sure like to know what Insurance Co. would only pay $4K for a mess like that.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I'd like to know as well. Sounds like some fly-by-night company. My original estimate was closer to $6500, but I've run into some unforeseen problems that had to be fixed. I'm doing everything I can to keep costs down. I've reclaimed some wood that was in decent condition, I've found these 10% off coupons for Lowe's at the post office, and I've cut my pay in half. Even with all of that I doubt I'll be able to do the floor, and I'm not painting. Last week I spent $2000 in materials plus my cost, I don't even know what this week will bring. Normally I would have skipped this job but the man is a friend of the family, and it was an emergency.

Archived