SASS Wire Forum

Power Factor

First off let me say I have chronographed my loads and they fit within the published guideline. I got to wondering the penalty is for those under the correct power factor or over it. I have never been to a match where a chronograph was used so I have never heard the stories. I assume the bigger matches use them but then again I don't know if only those in question are tested or is everyone tested.

Cowboy match -

A chronograph is typically only available at really large cowboy matches (even annuals and states around here don't usually have one available). Just regionals and above. Usually a chrono test will only be done if a posse marshal, or spotter, or match director has observed and thought that there was a serious shortage of velocity or PF. Have seen it be challenged a couple of times in about 6 years.

Anyway, two lower limits are checked, the 400 FPS minimum and the 60 PF minimum. And, these don't apply to BP and substitutes loads - those are tested against the 1.0 CC BP equivalent smoke standard, not against velocity. Rules for testing are in the RO II manual if you have a streak of curiosity.

First stage shot with substandard smokeless ammo is a 30 second Spirit of the Game penalty. Second SOG penalty (second stage shot with that ammo) is a Match DQ.

Frontier cartridge and cap and ball ammo that does not meet smoke standard has a different set of penalties: first stage is a P, second stage is a SDQ and third is a MDQ.

Wild Bunch match -

Because of a higher minimum power factor and a minimum bullet weight that is fairly heavy, a chronograph is normally available and often used for EVERY SINGLE shooter's rifle and pistol loads at a WB match of any importance, annuals and above in my experience. If the testing is done after completion of some stages, a violation of the 150 minimum PF or the maximum velocities or the minimum bullet weights results in a Match DQ, with shooter usually granted permission to finish shooting, but all scores will be discarded.

As you can guess, in WB you had BETTER know what you are shooting. And it pays to chrono before you go to a match.

Good luck, GJ

First off let me say I have chronographed my loads and they fit within the published guideline. I got to wondering the penalty is for those under the correct power factor or over it. I have never been to a match where a chronograph was used so I have never heard the stories. I assume the bigger matches use them but then again I don't know if only those in question are tested or is everyone tested.

That depends on which type of shooting you are discussing, Cowboy or Wild Bunch. I'm assuming you are talkinig about Cowboy but will answer both. For either type Maximum velocity is 1000 fps pistol and 1400 fps rifle.

Cowboy

Shooters Handbook Page 11

Amunition. The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps.

RO1 Handbook Page 26

Match Disqualification Shooting Illegal Ammunition. This includes amunition that Exceeds the maximum velocity and shotgun shells that have been bottle-neck sized or tinged. This does not include ammunition that does not meet the power factor.

RO1 Handbook Page 26

Failure to Engage/Spirit of the Game. 30 Second Penalty Shooting ammunition that does not meet the power factor, minimum velocity. The penalty is applied for each stage a competitoris checked and their ammunition is found not to meet power factor or minimum velocity.

I haven't seen anyone chronographed at a cowboy match but I'm new and will defer to more experienced shooters. I do know that if there is a doubt they can be chronographed.

Wild Bunch Handbook Page 12

Ammunition. The minimum standard for center-fire smokeless ammunition used in all SASS Wild Bunch Action Shooting competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 150. The maximum velocity standard for pistols is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps. It is a MDQ for scoring purposes ONLY, for shooting any ammunition that does not meet the power factor. The shooter will be allowed to continue shooting the match, but all times from previous stages will be deleted and no times for future stages will be recorded. Ammunition that exceeds the maximum velocity is a MDQ. Any major safety violations during the match will be recorded and could result in a shooter being disqualified from the match entirely.

Basically if you miss power factor they can still let you shoot but don't record a score. If you exceed maximum velocity you cannot shoot because of the safety involved.

Every Wild Bunch match I've seen above the club level chronographed every shooter.

I know this is long but hope it answers your questions.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I had been wondering because I have seen rounds that barely come out of the shooter's guns and then I have seen others shoot what I call elephant loads. The rules seem fair to me. Granted they may seldom if ever be checked (for cowboy). Regardless I intend to keep mine legal.

Hey Dream Chaser,

Sure glad you posted you question. I had thoughts of trying a Wild Bunch side match, but the huge power factor (minimum 150) wouldn't set well with my aged body. I didn't realize that the PF was so high and that the max velocity for pistol/rifle was set near the maximum. I thought all I had to do was have a suitable 1911, holster, and handn't determined if a trench gun was necessary.

Frankly, I don't mind shooting my substandard ammo without scores being recorded. I just wanted to have fun shooting in a game that allowed all to participate. I'm not saying to allow safety to be sacrificed. Yet, I see some regs that shout safety when the claimed safety is questionable.

I didn't see a reply that mentioned that the 1911 ammo is cast, and not jacketed?

Thanks again for your post as it certainly changed my mind . . .

Joy T Brew

Archived