SASS Wire Forum

timing and head space

Prairie Dog

In a post not to long ago which I cannot find some one explained how to check headspace and timing on a 73 after putting in a new bolt. I just got the new bolt installed and would appreicite any help with timing and headspace Thanks P Dog

A real easy way to check head space is to grab every brand of brass that you have load up as a dummy and check each piece of brass by levering it slowly into the chamber. If the last quarter inch of lever travel goes hard, you have a head space issue.

KQ

How would the new bolt change the timing? Headspace can be checked by putting in a empty case; close the bolt and use a feeler gauge. About .005" is what I've heard is right.

Easy way of checking headspace if you don't have any guages is cut a piece of electrical tape off a role. Don't pull it because it streches. Trim it to match the shape of the bolt head. Put an empty case in the chamber and gently close the bolt on the chambered case. This is easier without the extractor on the bolt. The bolt should just close or you should maybe feel a tiny bit of resistance. If the bolt closes no problem add another piece of elecrical tape and try it again. If it closes again you have serious headspace issues. Each piece of electrical tape is about .005-.006" thick. So one piece is tolerable for what we do.

Everytime you replace a bolt in a rifle this should be done. Do to poor tolerances by Uberti. I've seen headspace jump from .004" to .012" just by replacing the bolt.

Again this is kind of a kitchen table way of doing it and probably should be checked out by a good smith.

Headspace should be checked without the extractor or by removing a notch in a case and measuring so the extractor does not give a false reading by holding the case against the face of the bolt. I like to have near zero headspace especially if it has light springs. The timing needs to be checked also, this will explain how... http://www.pioneergunworks.com/uploads/SS_Kit_Install.pdf

The firing pin protrusion should also be checked. Why did you replace the bolt ? Problems ? Broken tab ?

Archived