SASS Wire Forum

Want to buy Gracey case holder in .45-70

Slo Mo

I've been shooting 45-70 for 25 years and don't do much to them except measure them. 2.10. load them and shoot.

You don't say if your shooting smokeless or Black Powder. Single Shot?? Lever action?? You can neck size only for a single shot

or full length re-size for a lever gun. The brass doesn't seem to grow like a 30-30 does.

I also shoot a Remington Rolling Block in 40-50 Sharps Bottle Neck. When the case mouth starts to split on the 45-70's,

I cut them down and re-size them to 40-50 SBN. Just sayin'

Big Jake

P.S. If you need to trim cases, you can always buy a LEE trimmer (inexpensive) for the few times you'll have to use it. Hand held, a few turns and your good to go.

Thanks for the info Big Jake................You're right, I left out a few details. I will be shooting smokeless powder in a Uberti 1885 high-wall. From some of the reading I've done it looked like trimming to 2.095 was essential. I most likely misunderstood that. Again, appreciate your input.

From some of the reading I've done it looked like trimming to 2.095 was essential. I most likely misunderstood that.
Slo Mo - 2.095 is the length after work hardening from shooting when mine go in a separate container, marked 'Stretch < 2.10'

The SAMMI cartridge length of the 45-70 is 2.10, not 2.095

Have, I believe, close to 1500 45-70 cases, loaded and for inventory. Never have I or needed to trim the cases

Archived