SASS Wire Forum

Re-cutting Checkering

August West, SASS #45079

After a few years of Cowboy Cavorting, the checkering is getting dull on one of my 1873 rifles. Since my hands don't work so good anymore, the checkering is pretty important to me for hanging onto the gun and keeping it against my shoulder.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has re-cut the checkering on one of their gunz, particularly if it's an Uberti.

The follow up question to anyone with experience is, How many lines per inch is the Uberti checkering (i.e. what cutter would one get)?

Thanks for sharing your experience on this matter.

A.W.

I've recut a few checking jobs, and the tool I like best is Brownell's 60 degree triangular checkering "pointing up" file, with the curved tip. It is easier to keep running straight than most checkering cutters, as it is 3 times as long. And, the curved tip lets you get into tight spots and cut in either direction. Stick that in a file handle, and slap on your magnifying visor and a GOOD light and holding fixture, and you can do that kind of work yourself. IF you have the patience and a steady hand. If not, farm it out. After recutting, a light coat of thinned linseed oil or tung oil finish will seal the recut checkering, without filling the grooves in. And it cuts any size (lines-per-inch) checkering.

Good luck, GJ

Archived