SASS Wire Forum

O/T Lights Out

Well, depending on the severity of the situation, you probably won't be 100% prepared unless you're an all out survivalist kook. I do have a 6K generator (no, not wired to the house), water, a slew of flashlights, lanterns, kerosene lamps, etc etc. We had quite a windstorm in the spring, knocked out the power for several hours, blocked the drive with downed tree limbs, etc. One hint, your old emergency all in one radio will no longer pick up TV audio. (Don't get me started on all that "new improved" digital cell phone, TV, etc BS "they" have forced upon us that SUCKS commpared to the old stuff).

A good battery powered radio is important. Take the batteries out until you need them, same as lights so they don't discharge and corrode. Yes, this still happens, trust me. :angry: I prefer emergency equipment that runs on common batteries. Something that is rechargeable probably won't be charged when you need it. They either will take hours to charge up at best, at worst will be totally useless if the power goes out. Radios, flashlights, etc. that can generate their own power by crank, shaking, etc is a plus.

I have no great insight beyond common sense. Battery powered stuff is useless w/o spare batteries. Generators are useless w/o spare, stable fuel. And if it is electric start, it's useless with a dead battery to start it. Try to prepare for the secondary problems. Rechargeable stuff is useless in a power outage. A generator is useless in a power outage if the pumps at the local station are dead. A kerosene lamp or lantern and a half gallon of lamp oil will last longer than a battery powered light. At least a day or two supply of water is a must.

I heard an interview with a survivor of Katrina that made pretty good sense. He said if ever such a situation arose again with adequate warning, he was gonna spend every nickel he could scrape up on three things. Gasoline. Bottled water. And toilet paper. Seems like at such a time TP is more valuable than Krugerrands.

JHC

Archived