SASS Wire Forum

O/T Lights Out

This may be a bit off topic, but I couldn't help to bring it up. A week or so we got a note from Edison telling us our power waz goin to be off from 1030pm til 0530 am.

Even thought we were warned we of course forgot. So, I was sitting around and GramaPhyllis was sitting in the living room and BOOM, out go the lights. In the whole neighborhood. It gets REALLY dark when there are NO lites. So, I started to get stuff outta my "earthquake" kit. Since it was just short term I pulled out several small battery lanterns...I gave one little led one to Phyl that looked like a little lantern but she liked it for using in the bathroom.

Anyways when I was taking the trash out to the street a couple of my neighbors were outside and one neighbor first off didn't even read the message so she was totally unprepared. My other neighbor gave her a lightstick, and I loaned her a small aa flashlite and out of my car I gave her a combo radio, flashlight and siren that you crank up for power..(it is really cool..you can even get a plug to use for your cell phone.) Anyways she just returned them and and told me she was going to get started getting her equake kit together.

It was kinda neet to see if I had any gaps in my prep. espically in lights and all.

So, my question is are you all prepared? Do you have any handy tips? anything you do special that you want to share?

(one of my tips is to have a squirt bottle of sterile water (you can buy special eyeflush if you want) but it is really handy if some one gets something in their eye. great if you have kids..)

anyways just some ideas for the "big one"

curley

Good subject! Especially as we're sitting on top of Schwarzenegger's Fault.

Clamity says I'm paranoid --- Yaaaah, but, am I paranoid enough?

Food, water, tools, flashlights out the ying-yang, supplies, generators, gas, propane, etc. at the house. My car always has supplies for a three day hike back home. Getting into Ham radio for emergencies. Got the cowboy gun when things turn ugly. Ready? Prolly not. But I'm probably better than 95% out there.

Good place to start: Popular Science and Instapundit's Glenn Reynolds. Preparadness Article

Paranoia: For some, it's an affliction. For me, it's a hobby.

Batteries and candles. In the winter lots of heavy blankets and more blankets and batteries and candles. Rye

WHEN (not "if") power fails here, we have a 30-45 minute "wait and see" rule, then I wheel the generator out of the garage (literally 10 feet), plug in the umbilical to the house, fire it up, switch all the house circuits to "gen" on the transfer switch, and everything except the electric range and hot water works.

If the cell system is still up, (cable usually fails with power) I can even tether my lappie to my Droid and get online and see what's going on.....

I got more flashlights than yer average walmart, and a collection of lamps and lanterns to match (Used to collect old lamps and lanterns, probably have 20 fueled and ready to light.

Ono

Very cool. One thing I found out long ago, we had a big power outtage, it was several blocks. VERY dark. Well, me and the ex wife got out our lanterns and we had a Alladin lamp (which the wick gives out as much lite as a 60+ watt lite bulb. We even had a little portable battery opperated tv..(this was the late 70-80's) well, we had several of our neighbors come to our door to ask if we had power.

I learned from that experience that it don't pay to "advertise" our stuff too much. In a dire situation the havenots will surely come and try to take what they want/need from you.

Being a cowboy shooter may be a big help in that we will have a selection of weapons to choose from for self defense

what else does folk have..

curley

Live on the NC coast and have been through several hurricanes, two that were direct hits, Bertha and Fran. Water, water, water, you better have plenty of water. We didn't have running water untill Thanksgiving. It took about three weeks before the FEMA showers showed up. I had an agriculture tank we used as a live bait holding tank during big king matches. Had it in garage hooked up to a water puppy with AC/DC converter, so I had running water for showers, dishes, and flushing The fire department came by about twice a week and filled up the tank...but still had to lug up hundreds of gallons of water for drinking and cooking. You need to have enough food and water for three to five days, it was three days before the first 4x4 could reach my part of the island, others could only be reached by boat. My stay at home survival kit includes...

Water

Generator & fuel

Camp stove

Lanterns...flashights....candles

Fuel for camp stove

First aid kit

Radio

Batteries

Off bug repellant

Food...Beef stew, canned ham, canned fruits, rice, noodles...etc..etc

Cell phone, and a way to keep it charged

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I learned from that experience that it don't pay to "advertise" our stuff too much. In a dire situation the havenots will surely come and try to take what they want/need from you.

Being a cowboy shooter may be a big help in that we will have a selection of weapons to choose from for self defense

An unfortunate side-effect of being prepared. However, it pays to know your neighbors. We've lived through a couple of earthquakes and the Rodney King riots. Pretty much know the sheep and the sheepdogs -- and the wolves. It's led to impromptu Neighborhood Watch meetings. "You crazy? Me too. Got my back? I gots yours. Wanna go to the range?

Live on the NC coast and have been through several hurricanes, two that were direct hits, Bertha and Fran. Water, water, water, you better have plenty of water. We didn't have running water untill Thanksgiving. It took about three weeks before the FEMA showers showed up. I had an agriculture tank we used as a live bait holding tank during big king matches. Had it in garage hooked up to a water puppy with AC/DC converter, so I had running water for showers, dishes, and flushing The fire department came by about twice a week and filled up the tank...but still had to lug up hundreds of gallons of water for drinking and cooking. You need to have enough food and water for three to five days, it was three days before the first 4x4 could reach my part of the island, others could only be reached by boat. My stay at home survival kit includes...

Water

Generator & fuel

Camp stove

Fuel for camp stove

First aid kit

Radio

Batteries

Off bug repellant

Yep, Same here on the Gulf Coast.

I now have 3 generators of various sizes as needed.

Plastic Water barrels and metal fuel barrels.

After the Rita storm I lived in my RV here in the driveway toting gas and water for 5 weeks.

May 27th we lost power for 7 days due to a tornado. A lot of unprepared people where out and about trying to get outfitted. I had everything except a generator. Had the extra gas but generator. A lot of people didn't even have a gas can.

Bad part about the whole thing was TVA ( power supplier) said they never envisioned that they could loose service. Never thought a tornado could or would take out their main lines. Tornados are quite common here in Alabama. Have the generator now and everything else for 30 days.

My stay at home survival kit includes...

Water -- Yep

Generator & fuel -- Yep

Camp stove -- Nope, our range is propane

Lanterns...flashights....candles -- Yep

Fuel for camp stove -- propane

First aid kit -- Yep, and lots of good drugs ;)

Radio -- Yep, solar and hand crank powered

Batteries -- Yep

Off bug repellant -- not many bugs here

Food...Beef stew, canned ham, canned fruits, rice, noodles...etc..etc -- Yep, plus a few MREs

Cell phone, and a way to keep it charged -- Yep

Manual can opener, ax, hand tools, duct tape, 550 parachute cord, waterproof matches, sleeping bags, extra prescription medications for two weeks, bleach, extra pet food, books to read, and a cord of dry wood.

Prepare kit house

Can food for two week plus normal week to two weeks food around the house

Minumum 8 gals water

several flashlights

battery laterns several

hand crank radio

Bug Out Kit One for Each Family Member

extra clothes

Hat

under wear

socks

boots

3 MREs

Israleli badges

hydration system

water purfication stuff

canteen cup

water proof matches

tender

fire starter

Ammo

Poncho

coat/sweater

watch cap

army rucksack

mole skin

Car Bug Out

Army patrol pack

survival knife

two water bottles

snack canned

water proof matches

medical kit

snake bit kit

Israleli badges

bandages

tape

sprain raps

wound cleaner

wound cream

mole skin

It would be a rare night when I was up at 10:30 to notice the power going off. :lol:

It's led to impromptu Neighborhood Watch meetings. "You crazy? Me too. Got my back? I gots yours. Wanna go to the range?

Years ago, at a meeting to organize a Neighborhood Watch, my mom asked, "How do we know that you don't have people out robbing our houses right now?" DEAD SILENCE for about 30 seconds.

I come by it honest.

I live in tornado alley so my survival supplies are geared first for long term power outages due to downed power lines and second to property damage from a direct hit. I have a concrete vault with 12" thick walls and ceiling that serves as our emergency shelter. Your needs are different as you as basically living in a 3rd world country.

Power outage at night will have little inpact for most folks and the pards here will list the most common needs so I will touch other needs:

A common self-defense. Zombies come out at night. Whew are the police during the outages? I can tell you in a large scale outage such as yours they will not be in your area.

Sitting in your house armed to the teeth while your neighbors homes are looted and burned down has its advatages. At least you won't have a cranky neighbor complaining about you mowing your yard to early in the morning.

Or how about orgaining your neighbors for a common defense. Sit up roadblocks on the roads leading in with a schedule of neighbors to man them.

Communication: Those little Motorola walkie-talkies hunters use are great for short range (1-3 miles) contact between guard posts.

Identification: A common means of identification of authorized persons is a priority. It needs to be readily visible. Maybe a white rag tied around the forearm.

This is a interesting read:

http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

Years ago, at a meeting to organize a Neighborhood Watch, my mom asked, "How do we know that you don't have people out robbing our houses right now?" DEAD SILENCE for about 30 seconds.

I come by it honest.

Had a lady in Atlanta, Ga tell me one time about getting her purse stolen in a Dept Store. That evening she got a call and someone said they had found her purse and if she could meet them at x spot at x time, they would return it.

When she showed up, nobody was there. When she got home, her house had been robbed. <_<

Learn to see in the dark. It's a skill that will defend your life...

A chain saw and pre-mix can be handy too, in the event that you have fallen trees across the driveway or access roads, or if the house suffers severe damage and you need to clear away debris. (Just remember to check for live power lines first!) :excl:

A chain saw and pre-mix can be handy too, in the event that you have fallen trees across the driveway or access roads, or if the house suffers severe damage and you need to clear away debris. (Just remember to check for live power lines first!) :excl:

Hi Folks,

Interesting reading.

There are some plusses to living in the boonies. The first summer we lived here, we had three power outages. So, we bought a big generator. We are comfortable winter or summer with it, we've had outages in both. It will run the AC, refrigerators, well... We have a wood burning pot belly stove too and always have lots of wood from clearing manzanita or downed branches.

It can get really dark out here. So, we have flashlights handy.

If it's a really long outage, we might have to go to town for more gas for the generator. I think we should get one that runs on propane as we have a large tank of it.

Be safe, pards!

Allie Mo

I'm prepared. But I'm also prepared to walk around the house and neighborhood in the dark.

I do realize that lost of folks were "lost forever" walking around in the dark before lighting became commonplace a hundred years or so ago. (falling into ravines, rivers, etc.).

Surviving for long periods (over 2 weeks) without public utilities would be VERY difficult for many in our nation. Copper Queen and I have lived "off the grid" for 16 years now. We have satellite TV and Internet and if the power grid went down we wouldn't even know about it except our Satellite service would go out. We have Solar panels, HUGE battery banks for the inverters, and diesel generators (actually 4) and 3 gasoline generators. We keep 2 years of Diesel on site and 2 years of Propane. We have our own water well and store 6000 gallons of water above ground at all times. We also have 6 months of food minimum. We live 65 miles from the closest small town and have a 2 mile private road to our home which has 24 hour monitoring. When things get bad we will just sit back and watch.

For you suburban dwellers, I suggest a Kohler 12Kw propane generator, a 250 gallon propane tank and a GOOD transfer switch. Works great and a lot harder to steal than a little gasoline one. Also, keep WATER !!! At least 50 gallons.

I was once told by a feller there are two approaches.

1. Have spare water, food, medicine, power, clothes, shelter, transportation, communications and guns and ammo to protect it.

or

2. Have guns and ammo and look for folks that forgot the last two items on the list.

He always kinda scared me.......

Cheers,

BJT

We've lived up here in redwood country for thirty years and there hasn't been one winter where we haven't lost power, sometimes for a week at a time, usually because some big redwood tree has fallen over power lines. It doesn't take long before one learns what you're going to need during one of these experiences.

Now, after thirty years, we really don't give it much thought...it's just one of those things we prepare to live with.

All of the things that have been mentioned previously are "right on the money," so to speak. We have a little over 100 gallons of water stored, at least three or four cords of firewood, a 7,000-watt generator, food, first aid supplies, emergency tools (i.e. axes, shovels, chainsaw, etc.), and most of the other items mentioned by the other pards.

Personally, and probably like most of you, it gives me a secure feeling knowing that when "the ship hits the sand," I hopefully won't be freezing to death in the dark while eating a can of cat food.

Like the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared." When Baden-Powell, founder of Scouting was asked, "Be prepared for what?" He replied, "For anything!" Good words to live by. :)

What are Israeli badges & mole skin?

Moleskin is a stick on pad that you put on areas that might blister like your heel, toes or instep.

I'm not sure why you'd want an Israeli Badge. ;)

For the Post-Obama World: Amazon Survival Items List

UB and Col Riddles: I'm pretty sure the poster meant Israeli Bandages. They're a compression bandage/ wrap/ tourniquet in one package. Our local First Responders are very high on them as they can slow the blood flow very quickly.

Emergency Essentials

Here is a really good place to get materials, food, water containers, first aid supplies (including individual pieces in case you want to put together your own version.)

They also have great information...videos, text articles and a bunch of good stuff

good shootin

curley

This winter we went through a 36 hour period with no power. In a total elec. home! Oil lamps, flashlights, and a kero heater. Ventilation WAS important. Water here is on wells, so no water either. Melted snow on the top of the heater to flush the johns. Heated water on it too, and then poured it through the coffee maker basket on top of the carafe to make coffee. Lots of sandwhiches. Put freezer stuff out side to try and keep it froze.....Buck :blush:

Water

Generator & fuel

Camp stove

Fuel for camp stove

First aid kit

Radio

Batteries

Off bug repellant

I remember Bertha & Fran. In 1996, Calico & I were living on a 31' sailboat on the lower Chesapeake Bay. When we came through Masonboro Marina in December, they were STILL picking BIG boats out of the tops of the live oaks!

And we, too, have our supplies of generators, gas, and many of the other accutraments. Two years ago a late spring storm brought down 1,800 power poles in El Paso County and we were without power for 71 hours. And we are on a well, with horses to water, etc.

Buena suerte, and keep safe!

eGG

Archived