SASS Wire Forum

Non cas reloading question

I bought some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass. Supposed to be the good stuff. Why won't my CCI small rifle primers fit in the primer pocket? I loaded up 30 or so, and had to really push to get about half of them to go in. That made a small dent in the primer and they wouldn't go off. Any ideas?

Thanks

Doc

You might have to ream out the primer pockets. Small rifle primers should go in without undue force. It sounds like you forced the primer cup onto the anvil, which will result in a failure to ignite the priming compound. If you go that route, use the reamer judiciously. Good luck.

Lapua brass is known for tight primer pockets. The :ph34r: teams that come here like it because the primers won't blow out in full auto. CCI primers don't have the best QC, so you might try some Winchesters. Federal will probably be too soft to seat without problems. 6.5 Grendel is known as being a bit difficult to reload. Your problem isn't unique. The Lapua US military rep. will be here at my place next week. I will try to remember to ask about your problem.

Archived