SASS Wire Forum

1897 and shotgun loads

Hud McCoy

Hey pards, I have always shot store bought ammo out of my Winchester 1897 shotgun. I am considering reloading shotgun shells for now on. Any suggestions on a 12 gauge 7-1/2 shot load. My pards always get a kick out of me and my boomer loads and badger me into lighter loads. Also I have just been given a few hundred 12 gauge Winchester AA 7-1/2 clay loads. The FPS on these shells is 1300 FPS. Is this to much of a load to be shooting out of a '97? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Adios,

Hud McCoy

Hud

97’s are old, no need to punish them or your shoulder(not to mention the spotters, TO, and on lookers) anything over 1150 fps is overkill. Winchester low recoil is only 980fps and they knock down everything we have in the way of KD’s. Check the reloading books for the proper loading data, but no need for speed with the 97.

RCD

My daughter is/was fairly recoil averse, so my first store-bought shells were Winchester Low Recoil/Low Noise. Then, I started reloading my own, and I've managed to fairly well duplicate those loads using the recipe found at the Winchester Powder website.

If this link doesn't work (giving you the exact recipe options) WinLite Load Data, then try the homepage here Winchester Home Page and go into the "Data" section, enter the information.

These are like shooting next to nothing and they knockdown just fine. And I use 7/8 oz. with 7.5's.

Good Luck

Chick

Archived