SASS Wire Forum

73 Front Sight Removal

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

Howdy

I keep hearing that same advice. To tell you the truth, I don't think it matters at all. I have changed out the front sights on a bunch of rifles in the past year or two. Both modern replicas and old Winchesters including one made in 1919 and one made in 1941. I give them an exploratory tap or two in both directions to see which way they are more likely to want to move. It has not mattered at all.

The most interesting thing is, when I go to put in the new front sight, I place it in the dovetail and see which side allows it to slide in farther before it meets resistance. Again, it has not mattered at all. I have a funny feeling most dovetails are being cut straight across these days, I doubt if they are tapered at all.

I'm with Driftwood on this one. I changed out the front sight on my '73, and after loosening the set screw it fell out to the left all by itself.

I think it only makes a difference if the left edge of the dovetail has been peened down. Machine dovetail cutters just make a straight slot.

Well I followed the first set of directions and it worked. Old sight came out easy, new sight went in not so easy. Had to touch up the sight dove tail with a file a slight amount. Thanks, case closed. It sure won't fall out now.

Archived