SASS Wire Forum

How do I assemble my Ruger?

Charlie Bison

I have always been a Colt man, but I just bought a Ruger Blackhawk I could not resist. I sent the frame into Grashorn Grips and the stag is gorgeous, but now I cannot get my gun back together. That blasted spring with the metal bar insert that slides into the hammer is keeping me from getting the frame and grip segment together. Any pointers because I have been trying for 45 mins now.

Thanks

In the future, it is easier to remove the grips, cock the hammer and capture the spring before further disassembly. ( wire, paper clip, small allen wrenches, ground down nail, all work well) When you reassemble the pistol, after you have it all back together, point it upwards at a 45 degree angle, cock the hammer until you can remove the pin capturing the spring.

Yep,

I keep a small drill bit that fits the hole in my gun cleaning box. The hard steel of the drill bit holds up real well to repeated usage as a spring retainer.

In the future, it is easier to remove the grips, cock the hammer and capture the spring before further disassembly. ( wire, paper clip, small allen wrenches, ground down nail, all work well) When you reassemble the pistol, after you have it all back together, point it upwards at a 45 degree angle, cock the hammer until you can remove the pin capturing the spring.

Archived