SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Cap and Ball revolvers to California, FFl?

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Guest Sheriff Pack Wolf, SASS #31917

Not wanting to impose on another thread about shipping cartridge guns,......

What are the protocols for shipping a pair of Cap and Ball revolvers to California? Is any thing different?

No FFL is required as far as I know,...but I don't know California.

Thanks,

Pack

Just ship it. If you are insuring it and asked about the contents. Just say machined parts. Don't say cap & ball gun. . . cuz the idiot behind the counter hears the word GUN and to them a gun is a GUN. They have no idea that a cap & ball gun is not a GUN as far as legality is concerned. :)

Just ship it. If you are insuring it and asked about the contents. Just say machined parts. Don't say cap & ball gun. . . cuz the idiot behind the counter hears the word GUN and to them a gun is a GUN. They have no idea that a cap & ball gun is not a GUN as far as legality is concerned.

Sheriff Pack Wolf, Wolfgang has it right on the money! I live in California and have shipped cap and ball guns out of and into California just like described above so no worries. One thing I might add though; If you also have a conversion cylinder it's a whole different animal and story. I almost learned that the hard way (getting severely chastised, thank goodness by the folks here on the Wire). If you do, they have to be shipped separately in different containers (I even went so far as to ship on different days), or shipped from an FFL to an FFL just like a regular firearm which it now is. Hope this helps. Smithy.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

Print out and highlight portions pertaining to antiques and replicas and take with to PO just in case you are questioned beyond the usual. But they typically do not ask and as you are not in vilation, just ship and insure.

Archived