SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Chuckwagon Cooking Club - SoCal

Powderman

Several years ago I was visiting End of Trail when it was in Norco.

At that event were several groups exhibiting Cowboy type cooking.

i.e. Dutch Oven, BBQ, etc over open fires.

There was even a restored original chuckwagon.

One of those I talked to said that they had a club that met once a month and had a pot-luck type dinners.

They met in the Southern California (LA) area.

Anyone have information on this group?

Thank You, Powderman

Powderman, I'm sorry, but I believe most of the chuck wagons in California faded away with the economy. I sold mine when EoT left and the last event I used it at was 'Shoutout at Deadman's Point. Doing a chuck wagon is very difficult and requires a crew of least 4. Plus, the cost to set-up, maintain, transport, are very high. Another demise of the dream is lack of events and getting any return of $$$ you put out...........$300 to $500 minium per exhibit. I still do some events ("Lost Muley Mine") as a camp cafe.....Dutch oven cooking, Muley's cowboy coffee.......demos and cooking lessons. Last year I was the Chuck Wagon Cook for EoT in New Mexico, good event and met many nice folk, I guess you could call it a working vacation that cost me $1500.

Now, the good news is that I do a couple special Lost Muley Mine events at my place for friends (Grumpy Lunch Bunch), you are invited. The food is always good, coffee is hot, and the pards are mostly behaved.

In March thee is a Chuck Wagon cooking contest at the Booth Museum in Cartersville GA. Might want to check it out. Link is below

http://www.boothmuseum.org/events/cowboy_gathering.htm

Saturday, March 12, 2011

10:00 am – 6:30 pm: Museum Open

8:00 am – Noon: Southeastern Chuck Wagon Cook-off on the Museum festival grounds. Teams of cooks will prepare beans, meat, potatoes, bread and desserts just as they did on the cattle drives of the 1800s. Ticket holders will be served at Noon. Tickets are $12 and should be purchased in advance at the Museum. Winners will be announced at 2:00 pm. For more details, download the 8th Annual Chuck Wagon Cooking Rules and Entry Application.

Check out Delmonico over at cascity.com he still does it but not here in Ca. of course,i wish we could figure out how they could make good money at it,i would love to eat at a chuckwagon camp,i'm always lookin at pictures of Delmonicos cookin.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/EOT.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunclickrick/EOT-1.jpg

Okay, here it goes and I'm starting to plan. Two events this year minus the chuck wagon, one in the spring and one in the late summer. Doing the full thing, instead of the chuck wagon it will be at the 'The Lost Muley Mine'. I'll be setting up the 'Morning Thunder Coffee' buggy, all outdoor camp cooking, Dutch oven cooking, real cowboy coffee, beans and bisquits, meat, cobblers, tatters, and other. If anyone knows someone that has a chuck wagon, and would like to set up a display, they are invited. These events are non-commercial and non public events, friends and family of the "Grumby Lunch Bunch" are invited. So, if you ever heard of the GLB or would like to, you are invited.

New club "The Cowboy Gold Miners"? Just an idea to expand friendship and share ideas.

Muley

Okay, here it goes and I'm starting to plan. Two events this year minus the chuck wagon, one in the spring and one in the late summer. Doing the full thing, instead of the chuck wagon it will be at the 'The Lost Muley Mine'. I'll be setting up the 'Morning Thunder Coffee' buggy, all outdoor camp cooking, Dutch oven cooking, real cowboy coffee, beans and bisquits, meat, cobblers, tatters, and other. If anyone knows someone that has a chuck wagon, and would like to set up a display, they are invited. These events are non-commercial and non public events, friends and family of the "Grumby Lunch Bunch" are invited. So, if you ever heard of the GLB or would like to, you are invited.

New club "The Cowboy Gold Miners"? Just an idea to expand friendship and share ideas.

Muley

Count me in.

curley

and I could take photygraphs

Archived