SASS Wire Forum

J. Stevens

G. P. Cobb

I have in my possesion a J. Stevens Arms Company Chippiwa Falls Mass. U.S.A. 22 Long Rifle.

Pretty rough cosmetically, browned finish maybe, Bore very dirty, pitted but looks shootable.

Anyone know anything about these pieces? It was given to me to clean for a Kid to shoot. Wondering if he might be safer and better shooting something a touch more modern like a bolt type?

Your thoughts Gentlemen..........

I have in my possesion a J. Stevens Arms Company Chippiwa Falls Mass. U.S.A. 22 Long Rifle.

Pretty rough cosmetically, browned finish maybe, Bore very dirty, pitted but looks shootable.

Anyone know anything about these pieces? It was given to me to clean for a Kid to shoot. Wondering if he might be safer and better shooting something a touch more modern like a bolt type?

Your thoughts Gentlemen..........

You are probably aware that those guns date from "standard velocity" .22 times. If you don't know what to look for as to whether it is safe to shoot, then find a good gunsmith who does, for the sake of the kid. They don't have many parts nor a lot of extra steel in them. They were built as a boy's gun, and served many boys well in the first half of the 20th century.

Would a modern gun be safer? Most likely. It will have lots of lawyer-mandated safety designs that the Crackshot does not have. "Better"? You have to define that so we know what the rifle means to the owners. Perhaps a family heirloom, which might be worth some effort to fix up. Relining the barrel, not an expensive fix any more for a .22, would probably get it shooting more accurately.

If you have been asked to clean it and possibly recommend whether it is safe, then maybe you should stick to that request. Make sure it is a 22 rimfire, not a 25 or 32, which were also chambered in that gun!

Good luck, GJ

If it's in decent shape, locks up solid, etc, and the chamber isn't eroded, rock on with standard pressure loads. But if corrosive ammo and wear has had it's way with the chamber, or it doesn't lock up super tight, nothin heavier than CB caps or shorts would be my prescription. If the chamber is so bad extraction is iffy, wallhanger.

If it's in decent shape, locks up solid, etc, and the chamber isn't eroded, rock on with standard pressure loads. But if corrosive ammo and wear has had it's way with the chamber, or it doesn't lock up super tight, nothin heavier than CB caps or shorts would be my prescription. If the chamber is so bad extraction is iffy, wallhanger.

That's where its at, with come bore cleaning, you can't even load a cartridge, butt plate missing, stock cracked, surface rust, but parts seem to move. TO me, it almost seem Less than a wall hanger. Thanks AJ, I will inform the owner it's junk.

Archived