SASS Wire Forum

Nevada Smith

:ph34r: Watching movie Nevada Smith (1966) on AMC. Early on McQueen is fighting Jessie in a cattle pen. He crouches to one side and opens the gate to let the cattle out. When the cattle rush the gate the fence topples on McQueen and he is in middle of the stampede. I though that this was fantastic stunt work and editing because it looks so real. I then went on IMDB.com and the movie trivia states the fence collapse was an accident and McQueen had to really scramble for his life. They left it in the film. McQueen is one of my favorite movie cowboys.

SaukValley Sam :ph34r:

:ph34r: Also, at start of movie he has some sort of over and under muzzle loading rifle with different size bores. Any idea what this was?

:) Also, at start of movie he has some sort of over and under muzzle loading rifle with different size bores. Any idea what this was?

[/quote

"when you go on the vengance trail you better dig two graves"

I found this on the net concerning the rifle;

following from; littlejohnsauctionservice.com dated in 2007

Lot # 94

over/under combination rifle-shotgun by "F. WEISS PORT JARVIS N.Y." and so marked on .44 cal. rifle barrel which now appears smooth at the muzzel, both barrels faceted at the breech for 9" then turn round, the rifle barrel with a large,, added ramp sight and an adjustable rear sight. The walnut stock, with checkered wrist, mounted in German silver, backaction locks, with very graceful hammers. A well crafted piece used by Actor Steve Mcqueen in "Nevada Smith". (Paramount 1966)

I found the post on the Open Range.net forums dated March 2007 by Arkansaw Deadeye

I always wondered about this myself, Ruff Cobb

Here's a pic of the gun:

Nevada Smith

Here's a pic of an American-made Swivel-Barrel rifle:

Swivel barrel rifle

--Dawg

Here's a pic of the gun:

Nevada Smith

Here's a pic of an American-made Swivel-Barrel rifle:

Swivel barrel rifle

--Dawg

That's the one. That high ramped front sight really stood out in the movie. Thanks for sharing.

Archived