SASS Wire Forum

Ancestor Portraits

Solo_Sam

I recently found a photo of my great-great-great-grandfather, Samuel Gunn. He lived from 1831-1904, spent four years in the Confederate army and a few months in a Yankee prison camp. You might not be able to tell from the avatar pic, but the man looks just like me, enough to make me start believing in past lives.

http://www.cgmaxwell.net/Photos/SamGunn.jpg

Anyone else have old family portraits they'd like to share?

-Solo Sam

Portraits of my Great Great Grandparents hang over our fireplace. They ran a Stagecoach Depot in Virginia that later became the Haney Inn, and is still open as a restaurant to this day. Not smart enough to post their pix though :blush:

BSD

Its cool that you not only have that old photo but know the person in it. I have many old photos of people I assume are family on my dad's side, but have no idea when they were taken or who they're of. Have been unable to trace dad's side farther back than my great-grandparents. Being that that side of the family was from just north of Atlanta, they were in Sherman's way as he burned his way through GA. Many records were lost, destroyed or not kept I reckon, and I have been unable to find anything in the surviving records. I know my grandmother, in the earlier stages of Alzheimers, took the OLD family bible that had MANY generations of our ancestry in it and started "correcting" what she thought were errors. All I know of my dad's grandparents is when they died and where they lived. Though I do know that my grandfather's parents had the same surname prior to marrying ( :blush: no jokes please, they were apparently NOT related until they married.)

I bet if you'd grow a beard like that, wear similar get up, and have a black/white photo made the resemblance would be even more striking. There is only one pic that exist of my great grandfather, also a CSA vet, and its difficult to draw any conclusions as he was in his nineties when taken.

Neat photo, SS. And I think his name would make for a dandy SASS alias!

I'm not aware of any ancestor pictures that exist past my grandparents. My grandfather (my dad's dad) was born in 1864 in eastern Tennessee. He came to Texas in the 1880's and his parents apparently followed somtime later on, as they are buried in Coleman, TX.

Regards, TJH

I am currently working on putting our family tree in hard back book form. We have worked through over 25 pounds of photos. A lot of the "old timers" were in love with the camera. One set of family portraits shows each new member of the family shortly after birth. The series has 9 photos we have found.

We have 3 civil War vets represented, 2 Union and one Confederate.

A Union Capt, his father in law (a confederate Corporal) and his son in law, a Union 1st Lt. Can you imagine the table discussion when the whole family got together. No military pictures until we hit the Spanish American War.

Archived