SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Hammer Modification

Some time back a pard asked a question about making the hammers on his shotgun bigger. He had one of the CAI SxS shotguns with the mouse ear hammers - very tiny, and very difficult to cock. He wanted to know if making them longer would be legal under the rules in the Handbook. A current thread asked a question about lowering the hammers on some pistols.

Pale Wolf Brunell responded, and his answer, in part, was "That has since been interpreted as allowing lowered and/OR widened hammers ... either 'factory/aftermarket' OR a modification of the original hammer by cutting/bending/welding"..

Now if it's OK to lower and/or widen hammers on a revolver, is it legal to raise the ears and/or widen the hammers on a shotgun by welding on some additional metal and then bending and grinding the extensions to contour them for easier cocking?

;) Particularly with older guns.... it's hard to tell what is orginal or what has been replaced. I have restored/repaired many older 'eared' hammer guns with hammers from 'donor' guns. With different factory variants as it is, unless the mod is VERY different, I would doubt anyone would question it. :P

Welding additional material onto shotgun hammers to make them longer would not be allowed, the opening lever may not have additonal material welded on for length either.

Sgt. Eli,

Interesting you should say that. EMF marketed a side by side several years ago that was Spanish made and fairly expensive. It had very tall hammers. The manufacturer welded an extra piece on the rabbit ear to make it longer and easier to cock. I know this because I have one sitting in my safe that both original hammers broke at the weld. Since it came from the manufacturer this way would it still be have been illegal and am I going to be banned from SASS for life. :unsure::huh:

RB a question similar to this has come up before and someone posted to that thread that they welded extention to their hammers. It was pointed out that they were then using illegal equipment and further verified by a RO committee member to the best of my recollection. If a gun came from the factory that way I would assume it to be ok unless specifically ruled against. As an ROII instructor, how would you answer the OP question if it was asked during a course?

Archived