SASS Wire Forum

EMF Dakota

Spectre

I have a pair of the "New Dakota" EMF's about 10 years old now, made by Uberti, and they have held up just fine for CAS shooting for me. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've shot in them, but it's a lot. I put in Wolff springs and polished the insides some when I bought them, and since then, have just shot the snot out of them. I bought Colts a couple years ago, but till then, the Dakota's were my main pistols, and I still use them ocasionaly. Got the nicest 16oz triggers on them, sigh, wish I could get my Colts down to the same weight of triggers, but they stay at about 2lbs and match fairly good, so I leave them alone. Blueing and color shows several years of usage on the Dakota's, and they have had mostly a diet of APP/BP loads, full case and a 200 GR bullet, and are a plesent gun to shoot. Got Elk Horn grips on them. Makes for as good, non-slip grip and I shoot either Gunfighter,(BP), or BP Duelist.

Greeenriver

I know ASM made them but how are they.I saw one at a shop today 4 and3/4 .45 LC for $395 in nice shape. I want and old syle with no transfer bars.

If it's one of the ASM Dakota's it will be an early first gen Colt style guns. The problem with that is they had bolts with really sharp fingers that tend to chew the cams off the hammer. Colt recognized this and used a pressed in hardened cam to help slow this down. The ASM doersn't have this hardened cam so they tend to go out of time prematurely.

Spectre If it's a ASM the big problem is the lack of replacement parts,other than buying a spare gun to rob parts from. I have been burned by their products twice and will never knowingly buy any product they had any part of. Then again that's just my opinion. Adios Sgt. Jake

ASM wasn't the best era of the Dakotas. I have shopped EMF since about 1979. I currently have 7 GW2's and 2 Dakotas from the Jager era. Ifrom about 1980) They are still good gunz, altho a bit stiff. Problems you may encounter with them is finding parts. Unlike the most recent Dakotas and Hartfords (and GW's) they are not interchangeble with Colts. And as mentioned the screws tend to be metric.

I would not say don't buy one, as I still shoot my Dakotas on occasion, just be aware of the possible logistics involved.

like to see pix if you get one...

curley

I have 2 Dakotas, 4 3/4 barrels. One ASM; one Uberti. They are both nice guns. I do most of my own repairs and have had fewer problems with the ASM. I won a Jimmy Spurs action job as a door prize last year. I had him do the Uberti since it had more problems and was not as smooth as the ASM. Since I shoot GF they don't have to be identical. They are closer now.

ASM wasn't the best era of the Dakotas. I have shopped EMF since about 1979. I currently have 7 GW2's and 2 Dakotas from the Jager era. Ifrom about 1980) They are still good gunz, altho a bit stiff. Problems you may encounter with them is finding parts. Unlike the most recent Dakotas and Hartfords (and GW's) they are not interchangeble with Colts. And as mentioned the screws tend to be metric.

I would not say don't buy one, as I still shoot my Dakotas on occasion, just be aware of the possible logistics involved.

like to see pix if you get one...

curley

Curley,

Early 1st gen Colt parts will work in the ASM.

Colt Single Action Army 1st Generation Early

Curley,

Early 1st gen Colt parts will work in the ASM.

Colt Single Action Army 1st Generation Early

Nate

Good to know, I will file it away in my memory bank for future reference.

I am still working on Old Top to send his 92 to you. (when he does I have one I want to get you to smooth out. nottin wrong with it just want to smooth it and maybe help influence Top to get on the ball...

good shootin

curley

Archived