SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 barrel throat diameter?

Dr. Zook

Have couple of questions about a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt --- can't find a serial # database to figure out when the rifle was made --- it is in a Braziltech box, 20" blued, 10 rounds.

Have an old series vaquero in 45 colt / 45 ACP (dual cylinder) and a .451 dia. xtp bullet will go into the barrel and stop hard at the shoulder. 

Would like to make up loads that will work for both.  Does anyone have a specification on the barrel throat/barrel diameter of a Rossi 92?

Any suggestion on load make up?

I have looked at SteveGunz website and following the Rossi thread on extractor problems....

thank you

I'm asking just to be sure.  Are you saying the .451 XTP stops hard at the "Cylinder Throat" of the Vaquero??  Or stops hard in the Rifle Barrel??  I would expect a hard stop at the Cylinder Throat as Ruger are famous or infamous for way undersize cylinder throats and most need reming.  I should not be surprised at throat diameter of .448 or .449.  I should expect the bore diameter (Grooves) in the rifle to be .451 or .452.  I am no help on the rifle forcing cone.

Both the pistol and Rifle should digest .451 Bullets equally well.

• Like 1

Colorado Coffinmaker,  The XTP stops at the cylinder throat / 'forcing cone?" if that is the correct terminology - I had pulled the cylinder out and placed the bullet into the breech of the barrel.  It stopped with at least 50%+ of the bullet still outside of the cone/breech.

I was looking at some hard cast .452" 225grn FP and thinking of using them for practice etc...

Edited by Dr. Zook

OK.  the "Cylinder Throat" is at the front of the Chamber.  Looking in the breach end of the cylinder chambers, you will observe a distinct "step."  that step is the beginning of the "throat."  The throat should be at least .4515 or .452 for a nominal .451 groove (industry standard) diameter.  You should be able to drop a .451 bullet in the breach end of the chamber and have it just hesitate at the Throat and only require a very light nudge from a pencil to drop thru.

• Like 1