SASS Wire Forum

More Excuses from Democrat Politicians for Violence in their Cities

Charlie T Waite

I said that Democrats needed someone or something to blame. They provided more examples even as I was writing my article.

The Marxist district attorney of San Francisco Chase Boudin blamed home made firearms called ghost guns for the ferocious rise of crime in San Francisco. That implies that SF criminals couldn’t get guns before and could only get ghost guns now. Maybe it is the fact that crime goes unprosecuted in San Francisco, and that led to an increase in crime. What a shocking idea.. at least to Chase Boudin. Maybe the voters of San Francisco should have selected a DA who had prosecuted crime at some time in his career.  Again, just throwing that idea out for consideration.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot blamed lack of gun control in Mississippi and Indiana for the tragic increase in criminal violence inside Chicago. Did her honor consider that only honest citizens obey gun laws. Criminals don’t. To be precise, only 2 percent of the criminals jailed in Chicago on gun charges bought their guns through legal channels. The rest of the criminals bought their guns from other criminals or from friends who don’t have a criminal record. Gun control in Chicago, Illinois failed to stop crime, yet Mayor Lightfoot needs a scapegoat. She blames other states for their lack of gun control laws. Lightfoot (and also the Chicago news media) didn’t mention that, somehow, Mississippi and Indiana, the states she blames, are less violent than Chicago. Perhaps the real problem lies in Chicago rather than in Indianapolis or Jackson.

Former New York governor Andrew Cuomo said the increase in gun sales across the country caused more crime in New York State. Could the governor be right? We have seen a broad increase in crime in 2020 and 2021, but crime increased at a far greater rate in New York than in other states.  In broad terms, we saw crime drop in half while gun ownership doubled over the last two decades. Why had those guns produced peace while recent guns produced crime?

Let me think. Did something change suddenly two years ago that caused the increase in violence? I wonder what it could be.  How about throwing a hundred million people out of work, opening our borders to drug gangs, and imported millions of immigrants who will take low paying jobs from US citizens. Maybe it was ordering the police to take a hands off approach to crime.

If there are always criminals around just waiting to get their hands on guns, then why don’t those guns cause crime in other states? I think the reason is that releasing convicted criminals from jail due to Covid put more criminals on the streets. Sentencing and bail reform also put more criminals back on the streets. I noticed that the New York Attorney General failed to tell us that the vast majority of violent crimes don’t involve a criminal with a gun. The cut-and-paste media ran with the AG’s excuses.

The problem isn’t that guns are particularly easy to get in certain locations. Guns are easy for criminals to get everywhere. No, the deeper problem is that crime pays in San Francisco, in Chicago, and in New York.  Civilization is fragile. Most changes don’t work. It is far easier to make things worse than to make things better. In this case, voters got the government reforms they asked for.. good and hard. As I said in the earlier article, now these Democrat politicians need a political excuse to hide behind.

When you can’t prove your point, divert attention to something that doesn’t disprove your position and try from a different direction.

Archived