SASS Wire Forum

1873 winchester help!

Doc Moses

I bought a used '73, and it didn't seem as smooth as I thought it should be. The lifter (stock, brass) was a bit sticky so I cleaned it and did a bit of deburring. The next time I take it apart I'll give it a bit more side clearance. From what I've read, about 0.005" is what you want. Mine is around 0.001" now. Not a BP rifle IMHO. 

I did a bit of work to the springs, there was a bit of wear on the lever, so that had to be corrected. Almost time for a new one of those (lever), not much spare metal where the spring rides. It was a while ago, one spring operates the lifter the other keeps the lever from flopping around. I ended up giving both a good bit of tension to compensate for some of the wear. 

Lots of good material online for reference. But, one trick I discovered for making the '66 or '73 run a bit smoother is to tune the hammer spring. If you go too heavy the empties don't clear the action, I just loosen it up until the empties clear the action nicely. This still leaves enough hammer speed left so you don't have to measure lock time with an egg timer.

They don't come with much grease on the pivot points and friction points, so I grease those, but the lifter is brass, so I leave that dry. 

Archived