SASS Wire Forum

What Rifle would Dominate in a theoretical 10-10-5-4 style match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

7 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

45-70 & 30-30 are current caliber selections for the Magnum Research BFR.  In keeping with SASS rifle restrictions: 1) 1st production before 1900, 2) has external hammer, 3) chambered in a caliber available before 1900

I'd open it to any rifle made before 1900.   I'd not care what caliber it is in, even if it was a caliber that was added to the lineup after the turn of the century.

Thus, the Savage 99 and the .405 Winchester would be okay.  :)

Don't have either of those things.   Just wanna make it as "open" as possible.

Others have mentioned the Krag and the Hotchkiss.  My thought?   Why not?

What would I use?   I have a few options...

1.  Colt Large Frame Lightning:  .45-85

2. Winchester 86:  .45-70

3.  Winchester 95:  .30-40

4.  Winchester 94:  .30-30

5  Winchester 94:  .32 Winchester Special.

6  US Krag rifle:  .30-40.

I list this in order of likely usage.  :)

I also have a G98 in 7mm, but I don't think I would use it.  Although it does just barely fit the timeline, to my mind, which is a very strange place, it does not fit.  

Assuming this became a "common" thing, I can see myself using #1 pared with any of my Main match Lightings, #2 with one of my 92's and if I ever get a 76, I'd use it with my 73.   The others, I'd just use at random as the fancy struck me.

One of the things I love about CAS in general is getting play with and shoot my old timey guns.  Maybe that's why I'll never be a top tier shooter; I use something different almost every match.   But I do have fun, and isn't that the main objective of any game?   I guess that's what this idea, and it's just an idea, is all about, allowing more shooting and therefore, more fun.   I get the impression that folks have enjoyed this discussion, and I think that's a good thing.  :)

51 minutes ago, Irish Dan O'Shootem said:

I have a pistol in 45-70

Yeah, yeah, I know.   Various novelty pistols exist in this, and in other "true rifle" chamberings.    But it is not a "coventional" pistol round.

But what the heck.   If I can ever find one, I want want of the old Century MFG .45-70 pistols.   I am also some day gonna find me a pistol grip stock Winchester 86 with a 16" bbl and cut off the butt of the stock to make a "true" Mare's Leg.  (Or as much of it as can legally be removed and still be not an SBR)  I'll call it a Buntline Mare's Leg because I won't cut the barrel.   I'll show up at a match with those on my hips.  After everyone stops laughing at me, I'll pull out my Peacemakers.  :)

This post is not even speculative.  It is firmly rooted in silliness and non-reality.

Archived