SASS Wire Forum

Tuning CZ sharptail coach

Apothecary Pat

Howdy folks! I just got a CZ (Huglu) sharptail coach and would like to tune it myself if that's something an amateur smith like me can do. So far I've been able to do some simple things like replace springs on my Vaqueros and tune up a Colt clone. I've also disabled the ejectors on a BSS so I can handle some of the simple stuff. Before I start fiddling with the CZ I'd prefer to view a video of someone doing a full disassembly or at least find a diagram or an instruction manual that gives a lot more information than the manual included with the shotgun. Anyone know where I might be able to find something like that? If those with more experience think that's something I shouldn't do myself a pointer to an experienced smith in the Twin Cities, MN area would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Apothecary Pat

Longhunter sells them. Maybe you can get some info from them. Also Boomstick in Texas has worked or knows about working them, maybe ask him?

I just got one from Longhunter and it is spectacular. I recommend asking him to do the work rather than trying yourself. It’s a new design inside and chamfering Or honing the chambers Too Much could destroy the gun. You just can’t put metal back on. 

I've enjoyed doing a lot of work on Marlins, Vaqueros, '97s and even a few SxSs since I started shooting cowboy 20 years ago.  The vast majority of these efforts worked out quite well thanks to a lot of research, study, and patience (I won't dwell here on the few that taught me the limitations of my capabilities!  :-] ).  However, having bought one from Longhunter shortly before the ongoing COVID situation erupted to replace my 20 year old TriStar that was finally failing me, I'd very strongly suggest having his shop or another highly recommended gunsmith do this work for you.  I subsequently did some very minor additional light smoothing & polishing (not to be confused with grinding!!!) on some specific sharp edges of the extractor assembly that were cutting into the sides of the hulls while loading, as well as shaped & fitted a thin hard butt plate on it to replace the factory recoil pad that I really didn't care for.  Based on having now seen how well this beautiful gun is built and functions, I strongly believe that you'd be at risk of a major personal disappointment if you choose to do the work yourself.  And this is from someone who is commonly a staunch advocate of mechanically-inclined folks learning how to work on their guns!

FYI, I also tried hard to find diagrams of this gun and any information on its disassembly/reassembly, but to no avail.  I can say that the rear stock is attached via a single bolt that's accessed through a hole under the recoil pad (like most SxSs), while the two side plates that also are used to secure the rear stock are each attached by two small slotted screws that require use of a "Thin Bit" screwdriver bit set since the slots are extremely narrow.

Roger that, folks. I did see how the buttstock was attached and was able to remove that bolt. I have a set of hollow ground bits and after testing the screws in the sideplate I've decided to seek out a smith. Thanks a bunch for all the good advice. Greatly appreciated and I'll seek out the smiths you guys recommended, especially since none of us can find a diagram. FWIW, I did have the shotgun out after a SASS shoot Saturday and was able to practice a bit with it.  Even after my pards and I put ~100 rds through that thing we all agree the action is still a bear and so far that is the only gripe about it. Again, your comments are much appreciated.

Archived