SASS Wire Forum

A sure cure for the winter doldrums

Hardcase Hardin

Hardcase,. You can't go wrong with a '66 in 38 special, especially a "short rifle" version.  No doubt it's the best looking of all the CAS rifles, unless you've seen a carbine version of an 1860 Henry.  A lot of new shooters are drawn to the '66 for it's looks, ease of "slicking up", and basic functionality.  They, and most other CAS guns have a great resale value if you change your mind later.

My personal preference in rifles is the '73 short rifle with a straight stock.  The important functional difference in the 66 and 73 is that the 73 has a lever safety that mechanically prevents the trigger from releasing the hammer until the rifle is fully in battery.  A huge number of Cowboys don't find this to be a problem though, and shouldn't be a deal breaker for you.

The videos in Hawkeye Gin's "Light 'em Up" series that you referenced are some of the best representations of the spirit of Cowboy Action Shooting out there!  Shooting with the Cracker Crew, as I often do, is a really fun experience.  I even appear in one of the videos blowing smoke out of my gun barrels.

Get the guns you want and like no matter what anyone says.  Even if your tastes and needs change, it's not he needs of the world.  You can always get different stuff.  Just remember "indecision is the key to flexibility".

I finally got thru the whole list and holy cow pies!

I smiled the whole time, except when I was LMBO or the frequent DAYEM!

That was you in the 2nd vid!  Nice to kinda, sorta meet ya.

'preciate you're comment Pard.  Got a long winter to get thru before the final decision and if I choose wrong, well - have credit cards, will order more.

My first shoot could be around Memorial day and I think I'll name my pistols (I read some of the thread) Flash & Thunder in honor of the D-Day troops who put it all on the line for us.  TBH I recon there'll be plenty of thunder involved, not so sure if I can bring the flash.  :)

Archived