SASS Wire Forum

WTS: Lyman 310 tong tool handles w/dies and extras for 44-40 WCF

Fort Reno Kid

09-24-2017: This post hasn't generated any interest so I'll advertise on another forum.  I'll leave this open in the event there's interest and, if so, please use my email address.

WTS: set of large Lyman tong-tool handles with 4-die set for 44-40 WCF with extras. These come in the old, original orange Lyman box.

Included in the sale price is a large set of Lyman tong-tool handles and complete 4-die set: (1) primer seating die (2) decapping die w/decapping pin (3) neck expanding die -- .427 (4) bullet seating die.  I used these many years ago but have long since gone to a reloading press.  They are still in very-good-to-excellent condition. The Lyman printed instructions are long gone but can be retrieved from the internet (search for Lyman 310 reloading tool).

But wait; there's more: an old Lyman manual full-length resizing die.  This is the ultra-simple, 2-piece set .  It consists of a steel tube drilled to 44-40 and a rod to eject the resized case.  One lubes the "heck" out of a 44-40 and either presses it into the die with a wood or plastic mallet or pushes the case into the die in a vise.  Once the case is fully seated, the rod is used with plastic/wood mallet to drive it out of the die.  This is the old, old-fashioned way of doing it. It's slow but it works and can be handy if one only occasionally full-length resizes the brass. And it can be a backup in the event your full-length resizing die is temporarily out of action due to a stuck case.

Still more:  a .429 push-through bullet-resizing die.  This was made for the 310 tong tool but, after buying it, never used it (went to a Lee push-through die).  It consists of a screw-in die with push rod.  Fair warning: my simple mind couldn't figure out how to use it.  The push rod seems too long for the tong-tool handles to push thru.  It does size bullets.  Using a Lyman 7/8" adapter (not included; available from Lyman) I screwed it into my Lee single-stage press and was able to use a plastic mallet and the push rod to push liquid-alox-lubed bullets thru it.  Looks like it should work in the Lyman tong tool but , again, I couldn't figure it out.

This will enable you to reload like your granddad did. It's slow but it's sure and it works. Works well when relatively small amounts of ammo are reloaded and, for more modern uses, it is very portable and can be taken to the range or a hunting cabin.

As mentioned above, Lyman sells a 7/8" adapter that enables these dies to be used in a single-stage press.

Price: $80 including shipping.  Check the prices online for new handles and for new die sets and consider if these will work for you. Your personal check will be fine if you'll allow time for it to clear.

You can PM me if interested.  At times I've had issues with my PM so feel free to email me at fortrenokid@sbcglobal.net

Archived