SASS Wire Forum

Cops and Cowboys

Outrider Outlaw

I have a few questions for those of you who have offered/set-up a cops and cowboys match.

How did you determine how many cops and how many cowboys would be allowed to compete? Or was it anybody who wanted to compete could and the top "X" shooters from each side were declared the winners?

How was it decided who would represent the cowboys or did you just allow anybody who wanted to compete to do so?

How was it decided who would represent the cops or did you just allow anybody who wanted to compete to do so?

Did you charge the regular entry fee for competitors or was it something different?

Did you allow spectators--did they get charged a spectator fee? If so, how much?

I'm assuming that proceeds went to charity--at least that is what I am planning if we have a match in my area. Were proceeds divided and half given to the cops' charity of choice and half to cowboys' charity of choice or did all go to the winner's charity?

Was the "press" involved at all in getting the word out about the match (press release)?

How far in advance of the event did you make contact with the local law enforcement to get their buy-in?

Thanks in advance.

Outrider Outlaw

I have a few questions for those of you who have offered/set-up a cops and cowboys match.

How did you determine how many cops and how many cowboys would be allowed to compete? Or was it anybody who wanted to compete could and the top "X" shooters from each side were declared the winners?

The more shooters the better.

I used the scores of the top four shooters to determine which team finishes first. Both teams get either a 1st or 2nd place trophy.

How was it decided who would represent the cowboys or did you just allow anybody who wanted to compete to do so?

Anyone. You will have your regular SASS shooters showing up so this isn't a issue.

How was it decided who would represent the cops or did you just allow anybody who wanted to compete to do so?

Old time 19th law dogs add to the favor of the event. Don't overlook inviting Private Security Officers.

Did you charge the regular entry fee for competitors or was it something different?

Entry fee is a child's toy.

Did you allow spectators--did they get charged a spectator fee? If so, how much?

No. However set up a cash donation jar.

I'm assuming that proceeds went to charity--at least that is what I am planning if we have a match in my area. Were proceeds divided and half given to the cops' charity of choice and half to cowboys' charity of choice or did all go to the winner's charity?

I chose Toys for Tots as my charity for the events. Contact your local USMC Recruiting Office. The Marines love and strongly support Toys for Tots. They will put you in contact with the Marine responsible for conducting the event.

Entry fee is a child's toy.

Was the "press" involved at all in getting the word out about the match (press release)?

Absolutely! Getting a picture of the event in the newspaper is great as Cops love positive publicity. You will really hit the gold mine if you can get the local TV station news crew out and make the evening news report.

How far in advance of the event did you make contact with the local law enforcement to get their buy-in?

At least 3 months. LEO's work different shifts and have different days off so they need time to arrange for time off and shift coverage.

Thanks in advance.

Other advice. I divided my matches 50/ 50 on shooting stages.

Three stages were regular CAS ones.

The other three were design by LEO's using police tactics such as proper use of cover. No stand and deliver in the open like in CAS.

To help pull this type of event off you need to have LEO's that are CAS shooters. They can promote and talk up the event with their co-workers and supervisors. They also understand how CAS matches work and how to design the LEO stages.

LEO's begin stages with round chambered in their semi-automatic handguns.

Outrider Outlaw

Edited by Seldom Seen #16162