SASS Wire Forum

Had a good time out at the range today

I got a compliment from an old timer out at the range today. He was going along the bay picking up usable brass. I had 3 guns out there today, my 1858 C&B, my 1873, and one of my NMV's. The range usually has plenty of garbage out there and since the wind kept tearing the cardboard off of my PVC stand, I decided to shoot at some debris. There was a nice bright pink jug about a 1/4 of the way up the berm in front of me roughly 40 ish yards away. So I set my sights on that and shot at it the whole time I was out there.

While I was reloading my C&B, he came over and asked me "have you noticed the young kid shooting beside you?". I said "not really other than his rifle has quite the bark." He replied "well, I noticed he's shooting at the same jug as you. With each one of your guns, you're hitting the target more than he is. He's at least 10 feet high shooting through his scope. You're at least close even on your misses. I just thought I'd tell you good job. And I was going to ask if you keep your brass but I see your reloading ammo boxes."

We ended up having a nice conversation about reloading, guns, the oil bust, and politics. He was looking into buying a few pistols since he'd only ever had rifles and shotguns. He was planning on a .357 but wanted a DA. I shared my loads with him that I really like, one light for CAS and one Hot for fun. All around one heck of a nice guy. Best experience I've had to date out at that particular range.

Archived