SASS Wire Forum

Small Steps

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon/index.ssf/2016/03/watch_i_shot_a_gun_for_the_first_time_and_i_liked.html

Guns are dangerous. That's something I knew for sure, but up until a few days ago, I had never shot — or even held — a real firearm. Nerf, BB guns and plastic guns attached arcade games don't count.

But like anything that scares me, I wanted to know more so I decided to rent one.

Yes, you can rent a gun in New Jersey, and while state laws vary, this is the way most firing ranges operate throughout the country.

On a Wednesday afternoon I showed up to the Tactical Training Center in Raritan Township, showed my driver's license, filled out a waiver of liability and answered questions about my mental state including whether or not I'm an alcoholic or if I've ever been treated for a psychological issue.

When I handed the forms back, they were filled with roughly 30 initials and several signatures, but that's it. No background check needed.

If you find that worrisome, Training Director Scott Lessig agrees. He said its up to his staff of retired law enforcement and former military to determine whether or not someone is being honest in their answers as some people have shown up to a range with the intention of harming themselves or others.

Here's a look at the state of gun laws in the Garden State in 2016

Lessig said that while those cases are very rare, TTC is prepared and focuses largely on safety to deter any accidents.

So before I headed out to start firing, I watched an 8-minute range safety video by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Honestly, it was a lot of information to take in, and with each new rule I felt my palms filling up like a sponge with sweat.

Next I started some one-on-one training with Lessig. He showed me the Smith and Wesson M&P AR type in .22 rimfire rifle and Kimber Custom Classic with a .22 rimfire conversion kit handgun that I was about to shoot.

The guns were not shiny, and almost looked fake, but when I held it the weight made my heart sink.

As Lessig ran through the guidelines again, and showed me how to take aim — from the feet up — I made some big mistakes like pointing the muzzle in his direction, but the firearms were unloaded, cleared by a range safety officer, double checked by another and then flagged with a bright yellow piece of plastic that showed the chamber was empty.

He showed me how to hold the handgun properly in my dominant hand with my finger resting high above the trigger, load the magazine, release the slide, turn on the safety and raise it to eye level.

The rifle was a little harder, impractical and painful with the butt of it rested high on my breast plate and stock close to my face. To make things worse, I found out my left eye is dominant, and I really couldn't see through the rear and front sights.

Walking back into the shop, I could see the range through a large window.

Now if more folks would have that kind of attitude towards firearms, a lot of the bark would be taken out of anti-gunners.

Reminds me of one of my Daddy's favorites sayings "Try it first, then make up your own mind if you like it or not."

Archived