SASS Wire Forum

Connecticut: GOA Challenges Gun Ban in Court

Let's support this GOA effort and win one battle at a time!

Remain resolute and soldier on...

~ Colonel Dan ~

Gun Owners of America

-- GOA challenges Connecticut’s gun ban in court

Not a GOA member yet? Make sure to join Gun Owners of America!

GOA tackles the Connecticut gun ban

Gun Owners of America filed an amicus brief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in late May, challenging the draconian Connecticut gun ban.

The Connecticut law -- now infamous for making criminals out of hundreds of thousands of otherwise law-abiding citizens who have refused to register their weapons -- bans so-called “assault weapons” and “large capacity magazines.”

In court, the district judge bought the old, tired arguments that the ban is necessary to protect the police and further public safety. Despite finding that the ban “substantially burdened” the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, he felt the burden was not unreasonable in light of the competing public interest.

Never mind that these arguments were rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court in the DC v. Heller case. As such, the district court used a judge-empowering “balancing test” to justify the ban.

But GOA’s brief argues, among other things, that the judicial standard of review for Second Amendment cases is the amendment’s text itself -- “shall not be infringed.”

Click here to read the GOA brief.

And please help support our efforts to continue bringing cases like this one.

A picture is worth a thousand words in the Lone Star State

The battle in Texas is heating up over open carry, as residents continue to protest state law which still does NOT allow individuals to carry handguns openly.