SASS Wire Forum

Circle Flies

Cat Brules

An old cowboy got pulled over by a state trooper for speeding, and the trooper started to lecture the cowboy about his driving, and in general began to throw his weight around to try to make the cowboy uncomfortable. The old cowboy just sat there placidly looking the trooper over and sucking on his toothpick.

Finally, the trooper got around to writing out the ticket, and as he was doing that, he kept swatting at some flies that were buzzing around his head. The old cowboy said, "Having some problems with them circle flies there, are ya?" The trooper stopped writing the ticket and said, "Well yeah, if that's what they are called -- I never heard of circle flies."

So the old cowboy says, "Well, circle flies are common on ranches. See, they're called circle flies because they're almost always found circling around the back end of a horse."

The trooper says, "Oh," and goes back to writing the ticket. Then after a minute he stops and says, "Saaaay, wait just a minute, are you trying to call me a horse's rear end?" The cowboy says, "Who, me? Oh no, officer. I have too much respect for law enforcement to even think about calling you such a name."

The trooper says, "Well, that's a good thing," and goes back to writing the ticket.

After a long pause, the old cowboy pushes back his hat and says, "Hard to fool them flies though."

Archived