SASS Wire Forum

Montado hammer vs Bisley

Noah Cash

We are looking for a new pair of pistols for Hilda Billie and she likes the grip size of the Ruger NMV Bisley cause she can reach the hammer easily. I Know that SASS requires the bisley hammer to be used with the bisely grip shape. That is not a problem if we decide to go that route, but the Montado hammer looks to be very similar to the Bisley but is used with the standard style grip. What is the difference, is the Montado that similar?

Any experience with both out there?

Another question while I'm here, everything I see about the Ruger Bisley shows it is Stainless Steel, Does it come in a blued version?

Any other suggestions for a QUALITY small framed 38/357. Currently she shoots a trio of Uberti .38's in the Model P Jr's, but we want to step it up a bit.

Thanks for the knowledge and advise

I do not believe Ruger makes a Bisley in anything but stainless and 5.5" barrel. I would have her try out the grips on both. Nothing anyone can say will tell you how they will "feel" to her. The OMV had Bisleys in other configurations but are a heavier pistol. Best of luck finding the little lady what suits her. SM

I find the Montado hammer on the New Vaquero frame and the Bisley hammer on the Bisley grip frame to feel very much similar. Never understood why, when the Montado hammer was approved, that some did not want the Bisley hammer to be used with the plowshare grip.

In this picture you will see top to bottom, Uberti Cattleman with Running Iron hammer, old model Bisley Vaquero, and New Vaquero with Montado hammer. The Bisley hammer is just slightly lower, but hardly noticable to me.

Thanks, BTW Checotah, those Runnin Irons we were lookin at at Winter Range thuis year and she did like the feel of them. How are they for slicking up and do they hold up well under the abuse we dish out to them? They might be the way to go iffin they last like the Ruger (or even close)?

Thanks for the input guys!

Contact Jimmy Spurs "Cowboy Gun Works" an have him set ya up if your lookin for some of the best pistols built (the steppin up) will be done after he is done there are no more steps.He has built me a pair of Bisleys an a pair of NMV with Blackhawk hammers AWESOME guns.Just my 2 cents NK.

Guest diablo slim shootist

I have owned both Montados and Bisleys :wub:

I shoot the Montados the most and like the hammer better.

The SASS rugers are the same gun with 4 3/4 barrels ;)

Archived