SASS Wire Forum

SOLD: South Bend Precision Lathe Model A

Manatee

I picked this up from Fireball a few years back when he was moving to Florida. I've never had time to put it into production and every time I walk into the shop, I feel guilty seeing it sit there unused. So, to assuage my guilt, I'd like to give any of you cowboys first crack at it.

If you know anything about these lathes, you probably don't need a picture. Fireball can chime in if he feels the need to fill in on any questions you might have.

$1000 picked up at my shop here in Indiana. I've got a bad back, so you need to bring enough horsepower to carry this lathe out yourself. Mounted on a wood top. Bench included. 110 VAC power required. Some cutting tools and materials also provided.

These lathes run from $2000 on up on most auction sites.

Call me any time with questions. 317-640-0172

manatee@bananariveroutfitters.com

SOLD>SOLD>

I made a lot of parts on this lathe. South bend made some of the best engine lathes ever and this one was no exception. As I recall, 3/4 hole in the headstock, 24" bed. Quick change gearbox. You can do most gun work on this lathe with the exception of some of the larger barrel work. If he hasn't used it, the dirt and grime is left over from when I evacuated Michigan in a hurry :lol:

As for Manatee feeling guilty.......I'd pay to see that! :blush::lol: Sorry pard, I miss ya and our good times.

Archived