SASS Wire Forum

38 S&W black powder

Tintype

I have an old 1895 S&W break top that I am thinking about spending a "chunk" of money on to get it to shoot if possible. But first I want to know if there are any black powder equivilant loadings. I am a reloader but I don't want to shoot black powder in it. I want to shoot equivilant loads though. I have the brass and correct sized bullet already I am just trying to find a data source. If black powder is the olny option I am just going to make a wall hanger out of it.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

If it was mfg before smokeless powder was loaded in that caliber..................you know the rest.

Joe

I have an old 1895 S&W break top that I am thinking about spending a "chunk" of money on to get it to shoot if possible. But first I want to know if there are any black powder equivilant loadings. I am a reloader but I don't want to shoot black powder in it. I want to shoot equivilant loads though. I have the brass and correct sized bullet already I am just trying to find a data source. If black powder is the olny option I am just going to make a wall hanger out of it.

Try the Hogdon Powder web site. I use Titegroup in my H&R top break. At 600 fps you can watch the bullets go down range.

I have one of those made in 1893 that had smokeless put through it decades ago. If you don't want to shoot BP for which it was designed, make a wall hanger out of it. Any smokeless load will at least damage the gun further, and at worst, hurt somebody including you. The combination of the pressure curves of smokeless vs BP and the soft metal of the 19th century is a bad combination.

Adding on, it's doubtful the chunk of money you describe to make it shootable is not money well spent on these old pocket pistols. Generally, they're not worth that much if they require gunsmithing to make them work.

David Chicoine gives an excellent overview of these pistols in his book, "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West"

Archived