SASS Wire Forum

Back from Europe and Catching up on...

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

Miss Mary and I arrived back in Orlando Saturday night in fine but very tired shape after a non-stop 13 days in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic.

I can verify the medieval towns, castles, cathedrals, fortifications and Baroque architecture still exist. I can also verify the wine, beer and food are just as good as I remember.

Highlights of the trip for me: standing on top of the Austrian Alps and looking down on Innsbruck from 7,400 ft and the private Mozart concert in conjunction with a fabulous dinner in one of the same halls Mozart performed in Salzburg was very special for me.

Several differences I noticed from 30 years ago; the new construction in Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna is very modern in design and just doesn’t fit in well with the old architecture. Graffiti is rampant unfortunately. Thirty years ago, in order to determine the price of something in dollars, we divided by 3 or 4; today you multiply by 1.4! Bottle of water was $9.00!!!

Our first time in the Czech Republic…Prague in particular. That area was still behind the iron curtain when I was there in the 70’s and 80’s. The effects of communism however remain. The buildings, homes and apartments struck me as not well maintained and unclean. The economic system those poor souls lived under didn’t provide sufficient funds for such maintenance.

Glad we went but happy to be home. I'm also happy to report that I’m catching up on SBSS business and all my political email. Thank you for your kind patience in that regard.

I’ll soon see many of you during the South East Regional at Givhans Ferry.

Colonel Dan and Miss Mary

Welcome Home Col Dan and Miss Mary

It's good to travel to see how folks in other countries live and view the world. But it is always a big relief to get back to the good ole US of A.

When we were "over there" for our 25th anniversary the exchange rate was $1.62 per Euro.

Gas was 1.32 Euro per liter or 5.28 Euro per gallon (approximately). That's $8.55 per gallon!

That was a real eyeball opener!

Glad yer back safe and sound.

Waimea

:FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Archived