SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Grips:

About forty years ago, I was down around Farmington, New Mexico, and happened to be chatting with a guy who was a member of the Navajo Police force down there. He was sporting what looked to be a S&W Mod. 66 with the most beautiful pair of grips I've ever seen...before or since.

The grips were sterling silver with big chunks of turquoise inlayed in the grips...probably four or five chunks of turquoise per side, each about the size of a jaw breaker.

The grips were positively exquisite. My question...does anybody know of anyone who makes grips like that???

KIMKLASSDESIGN.COM

HEYOKAMAGAZINE.COM

UGLYOTTER.COM - Ugly Otter and his wife are a retired couple who go to the reservations and buy jewelry to sell online. If you were to make a request of them, they might be able to help you track down something specific.

RICHARDSONTRADING.COM - Gallup, NM trading post that deals with a lot of the native american artisans. They also might be able to put you in contact with someone who makes the grips you are looking for.

And if you need a set for a 45 acp, look on ebay - "silver colt 1911 grips".

Tull

Give these folks a call as well I was most impressed with the quality of their wares the last time I visited their web site seems to be down this moment though

this cached version is up

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:S5Ej9pdrTdkJ:www.wheelwright.org/casetradingpost/+the+wheelwright+museum+of+the+american+indian&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari&source=www.google.com

They represent a lot of the top artisans and could help with a custom order I bet but it will not be cheap!

Case Trading Post

Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian

704 Camino Lejo, Museum Hill, Santa Fe, NM 87505

P.O. Box 5153, Santa Fe, NM 87502

505-982-4636 x110 or casetradingpost@wheelwright.org

In 1969 I was traveling to Calif. via the old Rt 66. Somewhere in NM there was a rest stop that bordered on the Navajo reservation. There were artisans set up just across the fence, I bought a set of grips for my RB "J" frame from them that sounds just like those. I hope the SOB that stole the pistol and grips from me is enjoying them.

Archived