SASS Wire Forum

Hey Nate! (or from others)

Presidio

Got a '92 with the screw stuck that holds the cap on the magazine tube. Can't get it to turn lose so I can clean the spring and tube.

Need some suggestions so I don't strip out the screw slots.

Get stout screwdriver and grind tip to fit the slot exactly. Warm the mag tube a little with a heat gun or with light propane torch coverage. Place screwdriver tip in slot, rap the end of handle with a heavy hammer a time or two. Use that well fitted screwdriver to back out the cap.

If that does not do it, a hand impact driver will. Just make sure mag tube stays put and only the plug turns.

Lube with spark-plug anti-seize or choke tube grease when reinstalling the cap.

Good luck, GJ

Get stout screwdriver and grind tip to fit the slot exactly. Warm the mag tube a little with a heat gun or with light propane torch coverage. Place screwdriver tip in slot, rap the end of handle with a heavy hammer a time or two. Use that well fitted screwdriver to back out the cap.

If that does not do it, a hand impact driver will. Just make sure mag tube stays put and only the plug turns.

Lube with spark-plug anti-seize or choke tube grease when reinstalling the cap.

Good luck, GJ

Before ya even turn the screwdriver, tonight add a drop or two of Kroil (or other PENETRATING oil). Rap the screw a time or two with a hammer and go to sleep. Tomorrow morning, repeat the process.. Tomorrow night, repeat the process. The next morning, THEN see if she budges.

Be patient!

ol' poke

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions! ^_^

Before ya even turn the screwdriver, tonight add a drop or two of Kroil (or other PENETRATING oil). Rap the screw a time or two with a hammer and go to sleep. Tomorrow morning, repeat the process.. Tomorrow night, repeat the process. The next morning, THEN see if she budges.

Be patient! Ain't one of my first known traits...but, I'll try to be.: :lol:

ol' poke

GOT IT !

Used a mix of all suggestions. Lots of penetrating oil, a proper fitted screwdriver, a little tapping, and a little heat from my propane torch.

Only thing I lacked was patience. :blush:

All's well on the range now. ^_^

Archived