SASS Wire Forum

Reloading logic question

Reloading logic question.

A new-to-reloading friend asked me why does it takes more Titegroup powder to load a 200 gr .45 bullet compared to a 250 gr. load? I checked the Lee manual and sure enough the load for a 200 gr. lead bullet is 1 gr. more than the 250 gr. bullet. Didn't have a scientific or logical answer. I can understand the logic for BP because of space but for a SP...

Reloading logic question.

A new-to-reloading friend asked me why does it takes more Titegroup powder to load a 200 gr .45 bullet compared to a 250 gr. load? I checked the Lee manual and sure enough the load for a 200 gr. lead bullet is 1 gr. more than the 250 gr. bullet. Didn't have a scientific or logical answer. I can understand the logic for BP because of space but for a SP...

I am sure someone will provide a more detailed explaination but basically more pressure is created moving the heavier bullet, hence you would use more powder to create a ballistically similar load using a lighter bullet. But you better fact check me on that one.

Bucky

I am sure someone will provide a more detailed explaination but basically more pressure is created moving the heavier bullet, hence you would use more powder to create a ballistically similar load using a lighter bullet. But you better fact check me on that one.

Bucky

Been re-loadin' since day one, all "Holy Black"...

But just looked it up .....and Bucky is rat bout dat.

I never loaded dat heathen smokeless powder and mostly will not !!!! :ph34r:

Heavier bullet is longer, but you will load it to the same OAL as a lighter (shorter) bullet. That means there will be less case volume with the heavier bullet. Less volume = higher pressure; therefore, less powder is needed to equal the same pressure.

Archived