SASS Wire Forum

WTS -- 3 cab and ball revolvers and one single shot percussion

Herd thinnin' time. These are safe queens that haven't been used in a long time and some not at all. Planning to take them to a gun show in June and might take to the next EOT but thot I'd let the SASS Pards have first crack at them. All are percussion pistols so can be mailed by USPS insured. I will require a signed statement from buyers that there are no state or local laws that do not permit their sale and delivery by mail. I don't have a clue how to append photos so will describe in as much detail as possible. Be glad to take PMs and email for more detailed questions and, in addition, will grant the buyer a 7-day return option. If'n after 7 days you change your mind, mail it back and I'll refund the purchase. Nothing wrong with any of these; it's just been a long time since I've had the black-powder itch and doubt I'll use these shootin' irons again. They deserve good owners and active use.

1. Traditions Cap & Ball Revolver

Condition is easy to describe: New in Box. I ordered this and never got around to using it. It's brass frame, 1851 Navy style, in 44 caliber. It's in the original shipping box in the plastic foam holder. Didn't come with any papers or operating manuals. Still in a plastic bag with the sticky lube coating so will need an initial cleaning. Marked on the barrel: A.S.M. BLACK POWDER ONLY CAL 44 MADE IN ITALY. The sn is 079xxx. Has what looks like factory proof marks. This looks a lot like what Dixie Gun Works used to sell as the Reb Revolver or the Confederate Navy Revolver.

Price: $175 which includes shipping by USPS insured with delivery confirmation

2. Ruger Old Army

I bot this from a shootin' buddy who gave up CAS for high-power rifle. I never got around to shooting it altho it surely is a beautiful thing. Don't know if shootin' buddy ever shot it but to be on the safe side we can assume he did. The front sight has orange paint on it. It's 3-screw, blued finish, 7.5" barrel, adjustable sights, original wood grips, with SN 140-42xxx. Top of barrel is stamped: BEFORE USING GUN - READ WARNINGS IN INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM STURM, RUGER & CO. INC., SOUTHPORT, CONN. U.S.A. I don't want to overemphasize the really nice condition but in going over it, I can find a tiny ding in the front sight, some bluing disturbance at the loading lever hinge, and a tiny ding on one of the original factory grips. It's just a beautiful pistol that appears to have had very little use. Comes in a Ruger box altho not the original box it was shipped in. IMHO this is worthy of putting away as a collectible but I believe it would be put to best use as a shooter and I'd hope that would be the buyer's intent.

Price: $375 which includes shipping by USPS insured with delivery confirmation.

3. Replica 1860 Army

Not sure of the maker. I bot this from Dixie Gun Works, if memory serves me correctly, in the 1969/70 time frame. In the past, quite some time ago, I shot this with some frequency. It's always been cleaned well after firing and has a good bore and cylinders. It has NOT been subjected to dry firing. Typical 1860 Army replica: 8" barrel, 44 cal, blue barrel, color case hardened frame and trigger. Has a brass trigger guard. Top of barrel is marked: "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" CENTENNIAL Trade Mark. On the bottom of the pistol grip is marked: MADE IN BELGIUM. Trigger guard, frame, and barrel group have same serial number, 6937. There are what appear to be proof marks on the barrel. The brass trigger guard shows very honestly earned age patina but would surely polish up nicely if that's your preference. The bluing and case hardening are in basically very good shape -- I'd estimate easily 70/80% or better -- but do show some honest wear. My impression was that this shot round balls better than conical slugs. It's cut for a shoulder stock. I bot a shoulder stock with this pistol but ... ALAS ... it's been lost, probably during the last move.

Carrying case: bot this from DGW at the same time as the pistol. It is similar to partitioned pistol cases in the current DGW catalog. It shows ample wear and dings but is otherwise in good shape. The exterior appears to be wood veneer and shows ample wear and dings. The interior is partitioned and some of the partition panels are loose but are complete. The interior is covered in a green velvet appearing material. I'm throwing in the brass powder flask that I bot concurrently with the pistol and case (it still had black powder in it which has been removed). The flask has a copper finish and has a heavy patina verging on tarnish. Am sure it would polish up nicely if one doesn't want the antiqued appearance. It's similar to a number of the powder flasks in the DGW catalog: plain on one side and cannons and unfurled flags on the other. The lock on the case? Ah, there's a story. It's jammed. Worked fine when I got it if I gave it a gentle cw turn to lock and an equally gentle ccw turn to unlock. My now 40-something son, at a much younger age, didn't understand gentle and turned the key sufficiently to jam it. Took it to a locksmith and it took him a good bit of time to fix it. I don't think he was mumbling hymns as he undid the jam (LOL)! Then ...... my young son promptly jammed it again and I left it that way. No, I didn't strangle my son altho at the time it appeared entirely appropriate. He has since turned out just fine. The case opens and closes fine, hinges are good, but doesn't currently lock. The key is included in the case in the event you have an unsuspecting locksmith in need of an unpleasant surprise. Your choice!

Price for all: $350 shipped by USPS insured with delivery confirmation.

4. Single shot percussion pistol. SOLD PENDING FUNDS AS OF 05-07-2011

This was a DGW purchase many years ago. I looked in the current DGW catalog and no longer see it listed there. It's a fairly plain, single shot, 38 cal (.375 round balls), smoothbore, with 10" barrel. Top of barrel is marked: DIXIE GUN WORKS MADE IN SPAIN, sn 41541, has what look like lots of proof marks. At the time it was advertised as being handy to load with shot and take on fishing trips to deal with pesky snakes. I shot this with some frequency 30+ years ago and it is not so much fun to shoot as it is FUN to shoot. Even with smooth bore it shot some small groups out to 50'/25 yards. The birds-head stock has what appears to be a simple varnish finish which could probably be stripped and refinished if desired. The trigger guard appears to be a very simple casting of zinc or some other mystery metal. Barrel is blued and lock is color case hardened. Sights are pretty rudimentary: raised groove in the rear and bead front sight but, nonetheless, work fine. It disassembles easily for cleaning. Fair warning: after the last time I shot it I greased the bore pretty well; it'll need some cleaning.

I will ship it in the original and now very battered cardboard shipping box. I never bot a mould for this but will throw in a small bag of round balls I bot from DGW at the time I bot the pistol.

Price: $125 shipped by USPS with delivery confirmation

Glad to take your personal check but will give it a few days to clear before shipping. Will ship immediately for MO (doesn't have to be USPS MO, convenience store or Wal-Mart MO will be just fine).

Again, feel free to PM for additional info or email me at fortrenokid@sbcglobal.net.

Howdy Coal Smoke

Just responded to your PM

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid

Prairie Dawg

I just responded to your PM. Let me know if , for some reason, you don't receive it.

Best regards

Fort Reno Kid

Long Johns Wolf

I just responded to your PM.

Please let me know if, for some reason, you do not receive it. (fortrenokid@sbcglobal.net)

Best Regards

Fort Reno Kid (also known as Jim Ferguson)

Howdy Coal Smoke

For some reason your PM hasn't reached me but I sent you a PM with my mailing address. I'll note in the post that the single shot pistol is sold pending funds.

Coal Smoke

Just sent you a PM. Let me know if it isn't received.

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid

Coal Smoke

Did you get my PM yesterday. If not, please email me at fortrenokid@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid (aka Jim Ferguson)

Archived