SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning rifle cal .44 - feeding malfunction

mandrakke

Hi!

I own an original Colt Lightning rifle in .44, where I usually shoot the "modern" .44-40 cartridges. When the magazine is full, I have the following problem: when a new round comes out of the magazine, it goes onto the carrier in the wrong way, i.e. not horizontal but oblique (base-up), which makes the rifle jam. N.B.: this malfunction happens only for the first 7-8 rounds when the magazine is full and the related spring is very compressed: then the remaining 3-4 rounds align on the carrier properly and are chambered with no problem, so if I don't want to have a jam, I must load not more than 3-4 rounds at a time). Maybe I didn’t reassemble the cartridge carrier correctly: I was told that the the publication "NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly" (around page 36) contains detailed instructions and photos on how to properly reassemble the rifle. Does anyone has this book? If yes, can he/she be so kind as to post the pages in question? Another hypothesis might be that I'm using the wrong type of cartridges: the modern .44-40 cases have an extractor groove next to the rim, where the original .44WCF were smooth): perhaps the groove is the origin of the malfunction? Anyway the original (no groove) .44WCF cartridges aren't easy to find on the market. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you very much. Umberto (Rome, Italy)

I shoot an original 44wcf Lightning. The only problem I have had is overall length.Once I got that right there were no more problems. The brass I use is Starline.

Archived