SASS Wire Forum

serial number question

Tulsey, SASS#11236

I was looking at a Marlin 1894 that had been custom converted by a gunsmith. Along the way a tang sight was added. The gunsmith drilled through the serial number on the tang. The number was restamped on the side of the receiver. Is this legal? I thought drilling through a serial number was a no-no, but others told me a gunsmith could do it if the number was restamped somewhere else?

I was looking at a Marlin 1894 that had been custom converted by a gunsmith. Along the way a tang sight was added. The gunsmith drilled through the serial number on the tang. The number was restamped on the side of the receiver. Is this legal? I thought drilling through a serial number was a no-no, but others told me a gunsmith could do it if the number was restamped somewhere else?
That is my understanding,maybe one of the SASS gun smiths will post and verify that is or isn't the case. Adios Sgt. Jake

That is my understanding,maybe one of the SASS gun smiths will post and verify that is or isn't the case. Adios Sgt. Jake

Not a 'smith, but yes. But the re-stamp MUST be done FIRST, or the 'smith is guilty of defacing the SN.

Archived