SASS Wire Forum

Taurus came through, sort of.

Tulsey, SASS#11236

On March 31st, 2010 I lost a screw on my Taurus Thunderbolt while shooting a match. This was the plug screw on the rear tang.

I had used the factory screw to hold a Marble tang sight since I did not notice when I ordered the Marble tang sight and screws that Marble wanted you to drill two and tap two new holes for their sight. This seemed rediculous on a rifle that was factory drilled and tapped for a tang sight with the same spacing as a Winchester 92 so I just had taken out the original and put them back in through the sight. This resulted in the tang plug screw only having a couple of threads

I decided just to go back to the original sight and called Taurus to get a replacement screw on April 2nd only to find they were closed for Good Friday.

On April 5, I tried again and they told me they would ship me one at not cost.

About a month later I gave them a call to see if my request had been lost. No, they would ship me one, but it was on backorder.

For a couple of years I had tried to find the magic formula for the Thunderbolt. Using 45 S&W brass had helped the functioning except when one with a little burred rim would stick in the magazine tube. The Scofield bass also had helped on the blow by which had reguired loading 250 gr bullets pretty hot in Colt brass to get a seal. I had a pretty good practice rifle, but not something to count on for a match.

I finally found a sight base screw that pretty well fit the tang screw hole.

By the end of summer I finally gave up, thinking if Taurus could not even get me a simple plug screw, what would happen if some functioning part broke? I talked a gun shop in to letting me swap it for a shotgun. I knew I was losing money on the deal, but the frustration level had peaked. I felt better when it was gone. I was surpised later to find they had sold the Thunderbolt.

On November 12, a Fed X envelope showed up on my door step. Yep, 221 days after I ordered the part and a couple of months after I got rid of the Thunderbolt, I had my tang screw. Thank-you Taurus for keeping your word. Maybe I can keep my word of never owning a Taurus again.

Archived