SASS Wire Forum

20 Gauge Reloaders, maybe another powder option

Rum Crook, SASS #55339

While trying to find Hodgdon International for awhile, I saw that Hodgdon had Winchester 572 in stock, and it is described as a slow burning powder for 28 and 20 gauge.  On the Hodgdon Reloading Data site, I found the lowest velocity published load using my components to be:

Winchester 572   15.3 grains     9,500 psi      1,150 fps

Primer Win 209

Shot #8 Lead, 7/8 oz

Wad Claybusters CB 1078-20

Hull  2 3/4" Remington Premier STS

Since I use a MEC 600 Jr. Mark V reloader, I found a sheet that shows the following powder bushings for 572 powder:

#14      15.4 grains

#13      13.9 grains

#12A   13.2 grains

I loaded 5 rounds with each of the powder bushings, although I didn't want to have to use #14, since I wanted a lower velocity round.  I did want to check my numbers against Hodgdon.  I used a Stoeger Coachgun, with 20" barrels, and I used only the right barrel that had an Improved Cylinder choke installed.  I used a ProChrono about 4 feet from the barrel.

The results were:

#14    Average Velocity - 1,094 fps       Lower than Hodgdon's number, but they probably used a longer barrel to measure, and maybe no choke.

#13.    Average Velocity -  996 fps        Just slightly more than Win AA Low Recoil, Low Noise rounds

#12A  Average Velocity -  882 fps        May work OK, but I'll go with the #13.

NONE OF THESE LOADS WERE TESTED WITH KNOCK-DOWNS, but I bet #13 will handle most.

Hodgdon's price was $38.99 for 1 pound jar plus Hazmat and shipping, no tax.  Two days later, I found it in my LGS same price per jar, with 10% tax.  Maybe your LGS will have some.  I wasn't aware of this powder at all until I ran across it on Hodgdon's.

Hope this will give you another option for 20 gauge powders.

Archived